MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Marcum VX-1, did my battery go kaput, or....??

1/17/21 @ 7:22 AM
ORIGINAL POST
clark co chris
clark co chris
USER SINCE 4/5/09

Hello.

Hit the lake today, but when I turned my Marcum on, it had no power.  I realized when I left home I had not remembered to recharge it after its last use (two weeks ago), but thought it would have at least a little juice left to show something, even if only for a minute.  Checked on it this morning, and the indicator light on the small charger box (by the outlet plug-in) is flashing red about once per second.  I turned the unit on, while both still on and off the charger, and can hear the unit whirring, but still no lights or flashing.  Is it just a case of a battery gone bad, or something more severe?  Worked just fine two weeks ago, so don't know what else it could be other than the battery. Anybody else that has had this issue in the past?

Thanks! 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

1/25/21 @ 7:55 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

I admit I laughed when I read this because I just had my battery die this past weekend on my Vexilar.  It would start up good and then start flashing really weird.  I would tap it and it would work, then start going crazy again.  Had just charged the battery so was thinking it broke, but then I took the battery from my camera and hooked that up...running great again.  Never saw it act that way from a low/dead battery before.

My battery was from 2007 so I'm not complaining, it had a good run.  Felt like the dark ages there for a minute.

1/24/21 @ 8:59 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
USER SINCE 3/29/20

good to hear it was just the battery and glad to help

1/24/21 @ 9:15 AM
clark co chris
clark co chris
USER SINCE 4/5/09

Just an update.  I hooked my unit up to a different battery, and it worked just fine.  So, problem solved.  Thanks to all who gave their comments and insights, much appreciated!  

1/19/21 @ 9:58 PM
redline
redline
USER SINCE 1/14/13

just following up. I read online about problems others were having with their vx-1 charging issues.  Followed the advise and charged with my Battery Charger Junior on battery and back up. Went out and vx-p worked great. Put charge back on it and seems ready to go!

1/18/21 @ 8:34 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
USER SINCE 1/6/17

How old is the battery?

I have a vx-1p that had to have the motor replaced, it had the  case of the rocking bottom. It's been rock solid the last two seasons tho. I replace my batteries after two years, no matter what.

One thing that has gotten me in the past is the negative battery terminal comes off the post every now and then and your battery obviously won't charge but if I recall correctly your charger will be green like the battery is fully charged. 

1/18/21 @ 5:00 AM
Credance
USER SINCE 5/6/20

Mine had an issue I walked up to a stranger and asked if I could hook my unit to his battery to trouble shoot 4 minutes knew the battery was bad caught fish and gave them to the guy who helped me now a friend 

1/17/21 @ 7:29 PM
redline
redline
USER SINCE 1/14/13

I have vx-1 also. I try to charge battery after every use. Unfortunately, I don’t feel the light on the charger works. Also concerned that I have overcharged batteries in the past. Read about others having similar issues with vx-1. I typically carry a back up battery. Last time out, flasher lites were bouncing. So put other battery in with same results. I’ve charged both batteries with my Batter tender Junior, as this was recommended by others online. Hoping this will help. If not too slushy, I’ll let you know.

1/17/21 @ 3:49 PM
wldh
MEMBER SINCE 3/14/08

Your charge indicator and read out could be bad ,mine will read amount of charge left but will not charge thru indicator, also just bought a lithium battery now the whole unit with battery weights less than old battery alone, was pricey,but should last as long as 2 lead acid battery's just my 2cents 

1/17/21 @ 1:00 PM
fishicot
USER SINCE 4/16/18

I've had locator batteries gradually die and others that when bad over one trip.  I agree the best thing to do is buy a new battery and see what happens.  I also have a VX-1 and really like it.

1/17/21 @ 12:53 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
USER SINCE 3/29/20

As far as battery maintenance make sure to charge it after each use and if you're not going to use it for a while disconnect the battery to avoid any chance of  battery drainage 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
Advertise here
ICx Ice Rods from Okuma feature a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. Orange colored rod tip for improved bite visibility and are backed by a limited 1-year warranty. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - ICx Ice Rods
The new StrikeMaster Pro Jacket and Pro Bibs delivers the ultimate in cold-weather outerwear, keeping you warm, comfortable and safe on the ice. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ICE FORCE - Pro Jacket & Bibs
MEGA Imaging® from Humminbird takes fish finding into the megahertz range for more detail and domination. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - MEGA Imaging
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.