MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year!

3/4/16 @ 7:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02
Anyone else pumped to fish in March? Sitting on 16 inches of ice in 45 degree weather is always a nice thing. However, not sure how long the ice will last down south and even up here, we'll have to make it past the next twelve days before it cools down again. Might not last too long this year. Might go very quick. But, plenty out there now and it's a great time of year to fish. Anyone else pumped to be in the March ice fishing period?

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 91 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

3/11/21 @ 3:16 PM
jaybeeturtle
USER SINCE 3/17/06

Amazing how fast the ice can go bad. Fished here yesterday morning.  Towards noon, ice got that bad color and big chunks busting up as I was drilling.  So I called it a season. Today, high winds broke up and sank the ice some areas of the lake. Looks like I will be kayaking this weekend 

3/9/21 @ 10:27 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

Thanks for the report Jaybee. 

One thing I've noticed in March. When they say there's going to be a warm up-they almost always undershoot what actually happens. I doubt anyone predicted a week ago that it would be 68 degrees in Waukesha County today. YIKES. Horrible for the ice.

3/9/21 @ 8:49 PM
jaybeeturtle
USER SINCE 3/17/06

Waukesha County report.

Was 68 degrees today. North side access is going bad . Was 13 to 14 inch ice yesterday,  12 today, for the lakes I was on. 3 inch of hard ice at the bottom yesterday,  today, soft ice from top to bottom.  

If you can take off work,  call in sick,  or play hooky, do it. Ice may be dangerous by this weekend.  

And heck, panfishing was tough for me too. It was a struggle to get a meal of 8 keepers the last 2 days

3/9/21 @ 8:05 PM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

You’re right!!   I’m catching a few perch but not 1 crappie or Gill this March!    Usually I pound them this time of year.

3/9/21 @ 5:31 PM
John13
USER SINCE 2/6/21

Late ice stinks this year.Fished the past four days,seen plenty of big panfish on camera and nothing but tiny ones.Big fish won't hit anything.

3/9/21 @ 4:01 PM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

I’m going to wait a few more days to see if I can stretch it out then head to Florida for a few days, see if I can time the ice out. CARPIO 

3/8/21 @ 11:39 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

I love your attitude. I think less than 5 percent of ice fisherman still are at it late - late ice. I've been on the ice a number of times when just about every one else has quit or is fishing open water. And, usually it's fine. Sometimes even good. There are a few others that do this too...but Each lake and year is different. 

Now, I have fallen in twice!!! Late ice. So, it's not without risk. Both times were shallow water, but over my belt line. I don't do deep water late ice. 

I've also done the Johnboat trick. Get to the main shelf and things are surprisingly fine. Looks horrible to people walking by, but 10 inches of solid ice is sometimes waiting and I've found that if the previous night and day have been cool and cloudy, it's pretty firm ice. Gotta just be smart and shallow I like to say! And it’s pretty obvious when the ice gets rotten or bad. That’s when it’s time to quit!

And there is always that “one more chance to get out”  in my mind...But one has to know when to fold his cards. Sometimes that’s hard for me to Accept! 

3/8/21 @ 2:51 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

I was fishing on 15+ inches here in Madison over the weekend.  I still had a few spots that just about buried my auger, so there's quite a bit of ice left.  Both spots I accessed the ice over the weekend still had snow on the shorelines.  So I would think that it's got to melt the snow even before it melts the ice near shore.  I'm planning on going somewhere Saturday as of right now.  I'll bring a board with wherever I go and hope for the best.  I know there will still be ice here, it's just whether or not I can get to it, that I can't predict.  Average ice out is about the 20th of March here, but those last two weeks the ice is still on the lake we usually can't get to it!

3/8/21 @ 7:46 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11
Long term forecast is looking good for mid-april ice in the Hayward area. Had 24" of solid ice with a good layer of snow on top of that still. Slush is getting bad, spent an hour or so digging out my truck after burying it on the drive out. It'll me ATV or walking for me from now on. 

3/8/21 @ 7:39 AM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

You should be totally fine with ice in late March. Northern Wisconsin. I plan to fish into April. Once this warm-up is done, it’s getting much cooler. Takes a long time to melt 20 inches.

Low temperatures are looking really good starting in just three days from now.

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 91 POSTS
Advertise here
Keep your beverages nice and cood with double-walled vacuum insulation from Grizzly. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Drinkware
Precision trolling with a low profile at an affordable price. Loaded with features, the Convector Low Profile Line Counter will keep you in the strike zone! PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Convector Low Profile Line Counter Reel
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.