SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries for Ice Fishing

3/10/15 @ 8:46 PM
INITIAL POST
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01
I recently ran across Ted Peck’s mention of using Lithium batteries on this website, and then I ran across some AA-sized LiFePo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries for sale in of all places, Walmart. They were $9.99 for a pack of 4, 600mAh capacity. As it turned out, I was in the market to replace my 12V AGM/Gel batteries for both my Vex and underwater camera, which were pretty much done. I did a bit of research, then went back and bought 2 packs. Went to Radio Shack and got a couple 4 cell AA battery holders, about $5 for the pair. Taped the 2 battery holders together and wired the leads in parallel to make an 8-cell, 12V, 1.2Ah battery pack. Added shrouded male QD tabs, so that both my Aqua-vu and Vex would plug in, and I had a nice solution to my battery problem. I had previously measured the current draw of my camera at 450mA, and the sonar at 210mA. I tried running the camera on a single 4-battery pack right out of the package, and it ran for 45 minutes; after recharging the batteries, it ran 50 minutes. In other words, the batteries were at about 90% charge even after sitting on the shelf at Walmart for however long. Pretty impressive, for a rechargeable battery. The 8-battery pack runs the camera for 110 minutes (measured). It should run the sonar for about 4 hours. The major advantage is that the battery pack I built weighs 7 ounces including the foam insulation; the battery it replaced weighs 5 lbs. Since I mostly only use the sonar and camera for locational purposes, the run times are plenty long for me. It is handy that I can use the very same chargers that I used for the 12V 7Ah Gel/AGM batteries. These are “wall-wart” DC supplies that put out 400-600mA, and top out at about 14.5V. They were made for safely being connected to a Gel/Agm battery for indefinite periods, but they also work great for fast charging LiFePo4 battery packs, getting a full charge done in about 3 hours. These lithium batteries are a different chemistry from the lithium-ion batteries in your phone, laptop, and car. They share a lot of the good characteristics – fast charge and recharge, low self-discharge. They are not quite as energy-dense, but they are also apparently extremely safe – they are not susceptible to the thermal runaway issues that plague lithium ion. Oh, and they are rated for 2000 cycles as well……. I will add a post to provide more detailed information on these batteries, as it can be challenging to find. Please note you cannot use these to replace the AA batteries in your GPS or other product, as the cell voltage is over 2X, and you will fry your toy.
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
11/28/21 @ 3:45 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

Thank you for your replies.

11/28/21 @ 10:36 AM
mendota

The sonar i mentioned in the OP is a vexilar FL8, and it pulls 0.21A.  6Ah battery would give this sonar 6/0.21= 28 hours operation nominal, room temperature.  Check your manual or google to find your sonars draw, likely similar unless you have a large lcd display.

I would subtract 20% if the usage is well below 20F, like outdoors on the ice.

So as others said, i would go with the larger battery if you really want 2 full 12+ hour days.

11/28/21 @ 7:52 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Agreed, without asking a pile of questions I would say NO, go with the 10ah at minimum.

11/27/21 @ 11:12 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

How many hours did you get from using the SLA battery that you presently use with the unit? Amp hours are amp hours. It all depends on the amp draw of your unit and how many hours each day that you want to fish. The quick answer would be no to the 6ah battery. 

11/27/21 @ 9:37 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

Are the 6ah lithium batteries big enough to power a LCD or flasher type of locator for two days without charging?  Would a 10ah be a better choice?

10/28/21 @ 9:17 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Love my Lithium LifePo4 batteries.  Won't buy anything else

10/20/21 @ 6:26 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

The original post was made over 6 years ago so the use of lithium batteries and availability of them was not nearly as widespread as it is now. 

The first two power boxes I built used SLA and lithium batteries. No issues with either type of battery. More often than not “battery failure” is attributable to user error, specifically, not taking care of them.

I shifted away from the standard style of batteries and last year rigged up a couple of units utilizing buck converters and power tool batteries to run my stuff. I’m bringing a drill along anyway so why not use the same battery platform for everything? It offers a lot more flexibility in what I can use those batteries for than a dedicated lithium or SLA ”flasher” battery can. 

10/13/21 @ 1:00 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Neat project, but why not just get an Amped Outdoors 6AH Lithium battery for $50? That battery does weigh 20oz more, but still substantially lighter than the 5# battery it replaced.

I keep the the parts around to run a graph or camera of my M18 batteries if necessary too. Never have had to do it with my 12AH Amped Outdoors Lithium's but have had to borrow it to friends running old $19 sealed lead acid.

10/11/21 @ 5:21 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Those of you who are using lithium 12V batteries now instead of the lead acid batteries how do you like them?  My 18 year old Vexilar battery is finally getting retired this year and I upgraded to Vexilar's Lithium Ion battery.  I hope it lasts as long as the one that came with the unit did.

10/13/15 @ 11:59 AM
mendota
Very nice; I like the charge control chip mounted directly to the cell holder, slick idea, and should make charging idiot proof. Yes, your Vex charger will probably work fine. The one caveat would be whether it can withstand the charge current that these 18650-sized cells will draw. It is possible that you might break the charger; you will find out when you try it. I would not shy away from the higher capacity cells for this application. The cells you referenced are 1.5Ah, you can find 2.6Ah in the same size battery. The relatively low discharge currents needed by the Vex are ideal for those larger capacity cells. (But, the higher capacity cells will stress your charger more...)
3/10/15 @ 11:49 PM
74seventyfour
User since 10/31/06
Mendota, Thanks for your info, electrical engineer. Slick idea.
3/10/15 @ 8:49 PM
mendota
Ya, I know those were long posts, but I thought I might as well get it all out there. I know there are a few folks that like to travel light, and are probably just as tired of hauling those batteries as I am.
3/10/15 @ 8:48 PM
mendota
Using these LiFePO4 batteries for your equipment will require you buy a dedicated LiFe PO4 battery charger, which charges each cell individually, or you can use your existing 12V battery charger, but only if you are very careful to monitor the battery voltage and terminate the charge at the proper time. You will need a digital voltmeter! Here are the rules for LiFePO4 battery use: Nominal voltage, 3.33V fully charged, rested. (x4 = 13.32V on the battery) Do not discharge below 2.0V per cell (8V on the battery) or else permanent damage can occur! Do not overcharge above 4.2V per cell (16.8V on the battery) or else permanent damage can occur! Charge 32F-104F only. Discharge 15F-140F. Capacity 85% at 32F, 50% at 15F. Perhaps as low as 20% at 0F. Keep these batteries warm! The wall-wart battery charger you used for the 12V 7AH Gel battery will work fine to charge these lithium battery packs, as long as you monitor the battery voltage and disconnect when the battery reaches the required voltage: While charging, 3.50V per cell (14V on the battery) is 90% charge; 3.65V per cell (14.6V on the battery) is 100% charge. Disconnect the charger when you see anything above 14.6V. The MOST time the entire charge cycle will take is about 3 hours, at least with 600mAh cells. The energy storage of the 600mAh LiFePO4 cell is about 2.6W-h; this is about identical to the energy storage of a Duracell Ultra Power alkaline battery, which is non-rechargable. Scanning Ebay reveals that 600mAh, 700mAh, 1200mAh, and 1500mAh AA cells are available, along with chargers. I saw 1200mAh cells selling for $13.29 for 4 pieces; this is an even better deal than the Walmart price, from a capacity point of view. 8 of these cells will make a 2.4Ah battery; that would power a Vex for 8+ hours easily, and weigh considerably less than 1#. 4 cell battery holders are available via ebay or Radio Shack; don’t be tempted to buy an 8 cell holder unless you want to build 24V batteries. Paralleling 2 4-cell holders is the way to go; the #22 leads can be twisted together, and the parallel #22’s crimp in the tab connector better than a single #22 does anyway.
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE