SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Lithium battery charger

1/9/21 @ 6:16 AM
INITIAL POST
daleracefan
User since 3/27/02

You guys that have a lithium battery in your locators, do you have a lithium charger??

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
1/16/21 @ 2:58 PM
daleracefan
User since 3/27/02

Thanks for the input guys, I bought one from Amped Outdoors for my helix 7 ice locator 

1/16/21 @ 8:23 AM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01

The lithiums I run for my trolling motor and sonar/electronics have Battery Management Systems (BMS) built into the battery. Leaving a traditional 12v charger too long on these batteries could cause faults to the BMS and could cause fire. The batteries also will not get a full charge. 

1/15/21 @ 9:33 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I use a Marcum Brute Lithium battery, I also use the reccomended charger that came with the battery.  I think they charge at a higher voltage.

1/9/21 @ 9:00 PM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01

I still use the same 12v charger, a cheap 500mA wall wart.   Works just fine.

Most of the 12v lithium reach full charge at 14v or a bit more, which is very comparable to the old 7AH sealed lead acid batteries spec as well.

I recommend monitoring the charge with a voltmeter, then you know when it has reached the correct level and you can unplug.  I printed out the battery spec and taped it to the side of my batteries for easy reference.

There does not appear to be any good reason to leave the charger on indefinitely, as very high state of charge tends to detract from lithium life.  Also, they hold their charge way better than the SLAs did, so no good reason to leave them connected. 

1/9/21 @ 2:26 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Yes, I bought the lithium charger when I bought my Dakota lithium. I have since bought an Amped Outdoors lithium and it works with that as well.

1/9/21 @ 1:05 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Yes, they charge differently the SLA(sealed lead acid). From what I know the SLA chargers will not put a full charge on a Lithium. 

1/9/21 @ 10:41 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I do for my drills. If you are asking about rechargers for lithium AA batteries, I dont think there are any. I see lithium AA batteries all over, but I dont think any are rechargable. I wish they would make rechargable AA lithiums but I never saw them. They would surly put the other AA batteries to shame.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE