Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

land owner keeping water open

12/30/14 @ 6:56 PM
ORIGNAL POST
FLAG!!!
User since 1/3/09
Is it legal for a land owner to put aerators in the lake to keep an area in front of his shore line open from freezing? The reason I am asking is it creates a soft spot and when the sun/wind hit it it could easily expand and effect other spots on the lake.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/2/15 @ 6:27 PM
FLAG!!!
User since 1/3/09
I talked to the land owner yesterday and were going to try to rig out something to try and slow the flow/current when the wind is blowing. I don't have an issue with the aerator other than the fact he had 200' of open water and I nor the neighbors could access the lake. I walked down this am and was 100' away from the open water and still went thru. Hopefully the cold weather and the contraption works. Oh ya... I will be fishing as close as I can get to the open water too!!!

1/2/15 @ 3:12 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
It's a free world. Follow the rules, keep the water open by your pier , and don't worry about attitudes of people thinking it's wrong to do so. Simple.

1/2/15 @ 12:10 PM
jiggermeister
User since 1/8/10
The question is why don't you fish these areas. The bubblers are going to create higher oxygen levels in the area. The open water will allow sunlight in to keep plants alive. The ice should be thick enough to get close to the open water. You don't have to fish the open water but the area should produce. It would be worth a look.

1/1/15 @ 1:19 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Yeah! Buncha jerks!

12/31/14 @ 5:25 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Thanks for the chuckle BT...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
12/31/14 @ 5:19 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09
The historical boathouses you see in Minocqua, and other places like lake geneva, were built before the current strict regulations were in place, and are grandfathered in. They are very very old, nobody gets to build anything like that anymore. If I had one, I would sure as heck put an aerator on it because if it gets broken by ice you may not be allowed to rebuild. many permanent piers are protected the same way, and i suppose it could protect shorelines as well.

Any safety hazard presented by this would be minimal. When winter actually comes, the wind will have little to no effect on where and how big the open water is. My suspicion is that the area affected represents an extremely small percentage of the lake surface, so close to shore as to have little to no impact on angling activity. My suspicion is that the whole thing looked a lot worse than it actually is because of the recent warm weather and dicey ice conditions. If i owned land on a lake in waukesha county, i would be tempted to do this as well, it makes one less place for people to leave empty beer cans and fast food wrappers.

12/31/14 @ 3:27 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
You really expect them to do anything in Oneida County? This is the same county that allows certain lakeshore owners to basically build houses above the water and call them docks! Heck isn't there even a bar built over the water in Minocqua?

12/31/14 @ 3:15 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
"We Wisconsinites have been kind enough to allow lake property owners to basically extend their property lines out into the public domain- piers, boat houses, boat lifts, etc..."

Looks like aerator guy's pressed his luck and betrayed your kindness. I'd go ahead and take his dock away. Let us know how it goes. Big Smile

12/31/14 @ 3:02 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
Luh those intrusions you speak of also create fish habitat.

My guess is dnr is already full aware of it and would guess it's for winter kill like was mentioned. After last winter sure it's more common in lot of lakes this year.

12/31/14 @ 12:31 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
They put them in lakes that have a tendency to have winterkills and put signs out as well. The ones on Minocqua are so obvious that I'm sure its legal or they have some sort of permit for it. Those aren't a big deal though, the ice is only open right by the docks, not anywhere else.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.