LOGIN
Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Kdrill

1/4/20 @ 7:29 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Western Extreme
User since 12/17/17

Anyone have a Kdrill. Fleet farm has them $40 off so $209. Sick of hauling around my strike master. Any input would be great

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 56 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/8/20 @ 7:25 AM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

I dont own one of these setups yet but ive been doing a lot of looking.  Drill manufacturers make a lot of models that look very similar, but you want to look at the differences between the model numbers to make sure you get what you need.  Right now the hot item is the milwaukee 2804 hammer drill, but they also make a 2803 that has the same 1200 lb tourque but no hammer function, and is generally $20 less.  Anybody have any experience with the 2803?  The 2704 and the like are in the 725 lb range, which as far as i can tell is where most competitor drills are right now

1/8/20 @ 1:56 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

FlyAllDay,

You want a hammer drill. The internals on hammer drills are stouter than a regular drill and can handle more abuse. 

Regarding the Milwaukee drills, specifically the one that is rated at 1200 pounds of torque, there have been a fair amount of issues with the cases breaking on them when used for drilling ice. The problem seems to be a result of the side handle not being clamped down tight enough. If it’s run on a clam plate or ice kicker where the side handle is not needed it’s not an issue but if the side handle is used make sure that the collar locking the handle in place is clamped way down.

We have to remember that tool companies are not engineering these drills specifically for ice fishing.

1/7/20 @ 10:33 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

Sorry for a bit off topic, but I am responding to "RIPALIP" comments and I liked the idea of that setup and just had a general question to people more in the know than me...when buying a Milwaukee drill do I get the Milwaukee M18 or Milwaukee M18 hammer drill?  I see the hammer drill has the arm off to the side and just making sure I get the right one..thanks

1/7/20 @ 9:03 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

"I'm only getting maybe 12-16 holes through 6 to 8 in inches.  I'm on the drill mode on the lower settings.  And I am using 6.0 battery I think.  It may be a 5.0 I'm not sure which one I used. "

I get 2-3x that many with my set up using the 5AH. On the lowest setting, no hammer drill?  Something isn't right, maybe a bad battery? Did your drill come with 2 5AHs?

1/7/20 @ 8:40 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Opay617, what model M18 Fuel do you have? That is way to few hole with a 5ah.

1/7/20 @ 7:22 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

I bought the K drill this year and love it. Got the 6" at Fleet Farm on sale for $159. Sold my old Nils hand auger for $80 and put it towards the K drill. It is a little slower than some of the other options out there but who cares about an extra couple seconds. The K Drill does not catch at the bottom of the old holes like other augers do. Works great for opening old holes. My dad tried using it and now he wants to get one because it doesn't catch like his lazer does. 

I'm thinking of selling my gas auger because I don't see myself lugging all that extra weight around.

1/7/20 @ 1:35 AM
opay617
User since 1/10/12

I'm only getting maybe 12-16 holes through 6 to 8 in inches.  I'm on the drill mode on the lower settings.  And I am using 6.0 battery I think.  It may be a 5.0 I'm not sure which one I used.

1/6/20 @ 8:57 PM
Ripalip
User since 1/16/15

Last year I made the switch from my 30 year old cast iron Eskimo auger that weighs a ton.

I got the Milwaukee M18 drill and after seeing some videos I went with the Strikemaster Lazer Mag 8” hand auger to go with it. Got it on sale for $79.00 and if the drill fails, I can use as a hand auger in an emergency.

Damn thing is light weight and cuts like butter and is so fast . My fishing buddies were amazed........and jealous.  Makes my friends propane Jiffy look like a joke !!!  If I need replacement blades they are a lot cheaper than the Kdrill

Besides the Kdrill is only 7 1/2 inches.

I also use the Kovac drill adaptor / bit for safety in case the chuck lets loose.

Make the switch and save your back and you’ll love it.  Oh, and no smell and oil and gas leaks. Nice to drill inside the shack without choking on fumes.

Slammer 

1/6/20 @ 8:13 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

When you compare the three common composite blade types side by side by side the KDrill is going to go through batteries quicker than the others. It’s a chipper blade, they require more juice. The Lazer style blade (Lite Flite) will require less juice than the KDrill but a shaver blade (Pistol) will not use up batteries as fast as any of them.

So yes, you can and should expect a KDrill to use more batteries than a similar sized bit with a different style of blade. The drill itself essentially has nothing to do with it if the drill and battery size are equal. It’s the bit/blade style that causes a disparity in how fast or slow a battery is drained. 

1/6/20 @ 7:43 PM
Western Extreme
User since 12/17/17

Went yesterday in a ice storm and got one. Guess I wanted after all. Now time to fish the ice until March when it's time to surf fish the beaches. 

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 56 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.