MORE
Ice Fishing

Jiffy 30 Carb kit or new carb??

12/11/19 @ 10:18 AM
INITIAL POST
1oldcanoe
1oldcanoe
User since 7/24/11

Has anybody had experience with putting an aftermarket carb on a Jiffy 30 versus using a rebuild kit on the existing carb.
Looking at both on line it seems as though the price for either on is minimal And often about the same price.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
12/17/19 @ 7:10 PM
Lake bum
Lake bum
User since 3/28/18

just bought one on Amazon for $9 it went on with no problem and runs like new. 

12/16/19 @ 1:23 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I would second going with the rebuild kit.  Gas is the biggest concern.  Buy canned gas Tru Fuel, that stuff has a 5 year unopened shelf life, and a 2 year opened shelf life.  I burn that gas in all my small engines, weed wacker, leaf blower, gas auger.  I just date the cans when I buy them.

12/14/19 @ 12:22 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

I chose to rebuild, it was very easy and the thing has never run better.  It will idle through a full tank of gas now.  Also taking the whole thing apart was an exvellent chance to clean all the nooks and crannies and to lube and protect all the metal parts that were rusting.  In started using tru fuel, it comes in cans and you never need to worry about it going bad

12/14/19 @ 1:48 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

Personally,I would rather rebuild the original carb if it's a Tillotson vs a new cheap China carb.

12/11/19 @ 11:15 PM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11

Had to take off the adjustment limiters to get my 25 year old model 30 jiffy tuned. Never has it run better. 

12/11/19 @ 9:09 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Can’t speak on the Jiffy but a few years ago my Eskimo auger started sputtering and bogging down when drilling. Looked online and was able to buy a complete new carb for $20. Unbolted the old one and removed the throttle cable and bolted the new one on, primed it and it started 2nd pull and ran perfect with zero adjusting. Haven’t had an issue since. Also, make sure to use NON ethanol gas. That ethanol will destroy diaphragms and gaskets. 

12/11/19 @ 8:48 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

one of them should be longer with a screen on it and it should go to bottom of tank when in drilling position.  The other one is probably right.

12/11/19 @ 2:53 PM
goodfishin
User since 3/27/08

Quick question I have a 10 inch jiffy gas auger, how far are the gas lines supposed to go into the tank. I bought is used in both lines only go into the grommet about an eighth of an inch, just doesn’t seem right to me. I can pull them right out of the grommet no problem

12/11/19 @ 12:19 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Rebuilt the carb on my Jiffy 30 as well, super simple to do if you know anything about carbs or can put things back together the way you took them apart lol. Can't imagine there is anything wrong with just replacing the carb though. 

12/11/19 @ 11:08 AM
mkjo
User since 8/18/06

I just rebuilt the carb on my strikemaster and it runs like brand new. If the price is right, a new carb would be the obvious choice, but you will have to fiddle around with the hi and low idle screws to get it to run right. So make sure you can find the procedure for doing that before you decide to replace it.

On my rebuild, I just left the idle screws alone and squirted everything out with carb clean. I found the diaphram was dried out and distorted, causing my idle issues. Rebuild is pretty simple, at least on mine. A couple of screws, a spring etc. For a few extra bucks I also replaced the fuel lines, grommets etc.

Do whatever you feel confident you can handle.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE