LOGIN
Lake-Link

Inline reels

12/11/18 @ 8:23 PM
ORIGINAL POST
1jackpot
1jackpot
User since 8/23/10

Can someone tell me the application for using inline reels. Under what fishing conditions are they an advantage over spinning reels? Water depth? Species?

I've always used spinning reels but I normally fish shallower Mississippi back waters. I now will be fishing crappie and walleye in deeper (16-20ft) of water.

Are they good for jigging? Dead sticking? Tip downs?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Keep a tight line!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 53 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

1/2/21 @ 5:36 PM
duckeyes
User since 12/17/08

In-line reels prevent line twist. You don't need to use a swivel with these. 

1/2/21 @ 4:28 PM
Twobox
Twobox
User since 2/13/18

1jackpot,     Inline reels are good for light line, light jigs, and deeper water because you don't get the coiling effect on your line that affects jigging action and bite sensitivity. That setup also lets you get down to the desired depth quicker.  

A spinning reel will coil your line and take forever for your bait to get to the fish in deep water. But that is not such a big issue with heavier baits in shallower water.

1/2/21 @ 1:16 PM
CrystalLakeMonster
CrystalLakeMonster
User since 11/22/10

Pflueger President and a Clam Gravity.

1/2/21 @ 8:31 AM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

I have eagle claw, and multiple 13 free fall reels, oldest isn5 years old, never had a mechanical issue. What reel do you have?

1/2/21 @ 12:05 AM
CrystalLakeMonster
CrystalLakeMonster
User since 11/22/10

I've bought 2 in line reals the last 2 years, now I'm having mechanical issues with both of them.  Is durability an issue with these reels??  I'm not sure I'll but another.

12/7/20 @ 7:52 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Couldn't agree more maddog, that was the first thing I noticed this weekend using it for the first time. I will likely be taking it off my rod, it's just too much of an inconvenience trying to hit the trigger while weaving through the line. Unfortunate because it otherwise worked great. Pulled in a 15" smallie on my noodle rod which tested the drag nicely.

12/6/20 @ 10:44 AM
maddogg11
User since 12/9/12

I have one. First off it is small only holds 110 yd. of #2 test. The reel it self looks and feels really nice. The drag for #2 is right at its lowest setting. The only problem I have is the free fall lever is to far forward. The line to the reel spool is touching the lever,which makes it almost impossible to grab the lever without also getting the line. You have to push the line out of the way to grab the lever. Needs a redesign of the lever location.                     

•                         
  •                        
  •                        
  • Notify
  •                     

12/5/20 @ 7:42 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Ordered the inline Piscifun almost a week ago, and no shipping so far. Has anyone else had to wait a while for an order from them? No ice right now so not a big deal. Just wanted to get it set up and be ready when we do get ice.

12/2/20 @ 8:46 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I haven't used it on the hardwater yet, but I have it set up on my rod ready to rip! I like the feel of it, size is nice. Doesn't have a line guide which was the issue with the BB ghost with the line getting caught in the spool. Hopefully this doesn't have the same issue. I'd put it above the BB ghost in regards to initial feel though. Seems to be worth the price. 

12/1/20 @ 5:32 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Has anyone tried the Piscifun ICX Precision Ice Fishing Reel? I just ordered one which will be my first inline reel. Got it for $50. Reviews look pretty good so far.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 53 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.