LOGIN
Lake-Link

If You Don't Ice Fish...You wouldn't understand

3/30/09 @ 10:16 AM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02
I'm all for ice safety. I'd say that all of us probably are. But so many aspects of ice fishing seem very dangerous to people who don't ice fish themselves. For example, connecting a ladder to the main ice on a lake, or wearing chest waders and hopping on the main ice shelf is not really a dangerous activity if you know the lake well enough. Especially if the water you are crossing to get to the ice is shallow and the water you are going to be fishing is shallow. Many people though, think it's crazy that I do such a thing. But, I don't think it's very risky when I'm drilling through 15 inches of ice on the main lake. The shores pulled away a little bit, but no big deal.

Any other examples you can think of where If you don't ice fish, you wouldn't understand...

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 460 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/4/15 @ 9:35 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02
"Opening day" came and went without taking a cast. But, knowing that the real "opening day" comes sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it's all good.

If you don't ice fish...

3/21/15 @ 11:48 AM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02
Crossbow-You might have to consider heading north. Still very good ice for the most part up here. Might get a few good weeks in yet, we'll have to see....

Good news up here, the weather has definitely settled down. It's been cool. Will continue to be cool. No huge rains. Some cloudy days which helps. Nights below freezing and some quite cold. Perfect weather to extend the season. It's nice to walk around in the yard and just kind of be on top of hard snow and the driveway ice that's shaded is holding nicely. All things I like to observe in hopes that the ice on the lakes is not taking too much of a hit of late....

If you don't ice fish....

3/20/15 @ 4:00 PM
crossbow davio
USER SINCE 2/22/05
when enough of the ice is gone to the point where it isnt safe and you feel like Crying Crying Puke Doh! Worried and you start counting days until next ice season Big Smile

now where are those fishing poles? Wondering

3/19/15 @ 4:52 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02
Happy to see the weather cooling down and staying that way for a while. Been some cold nights and ice in the driveway not melting much of late, which is great. Glad to see trucks on the ice last weekend. All good things.

If you don't (late) ice fish....

3/13/15 @ 8:21 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER SINCE 10/17/04
Ah I thInk I got ya! I run my one man. If anyone wants to come they get to bring the sled and hub ;)

3/12/15 @ 1:37 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER SINCE 8/29/06
n. pike, I ice fish, and still do not understand. Woohoo!! Spring! Big Smile

3/12/15 @ 8:08 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER SINCE 10/17/04
Cds, looks like you have room for one more then!

3/9/15 @ 4:04 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02
I'm torn on the warm up....while the rest of the world is excited, (and I'll admit, it feels nice), I'm dreading the ice melt that is occurring. Want ice to last as long as possible.

If you don't ice fish....

11/10/14 @ 8:35 AM
JustPerchinAround
USER SINCE 1/16/14
Driving past the local golf course because you know their ponds are going to be the first water to lock up….

11/9/14 @ 8:11 AM
Point Muskie Hunter
Point Muskie Hunter
USER SINCE 1/28/13
The ice is comming next week. And I am more excited to go ice fishing next weekend than deer in two weeks. Its a Miracle an early start to the ice season.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 460 POSTS
Advertise here
Keep your beverages nice and cood with double-walled vacuum insulation from Grizzly. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Drinkware
Precision trolling with a low profile at an affordable price. Loaded with features, the Convector Low Profile Line Counter will keep you in the strike zone! PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Convector Low Profile Line Counter Reel
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.