LOGIN
Lake-Link

If You Don't Ice Fish...You wouldn't understand

3/30/09 @ 9:16 AM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02
I'm all for ice safety. I'd say that all of us probably are. But so many aspects of ice fishing seem very dangerous to people who don't ice fish themselves. For example, connecting a ladder to the main ice on a lake, or wearing chest waders and hopping on the main ice shelf is not really a dangerous activity if you know the lake well enough. Especially if the water you are crossing to get to the ice is shallow and the water you are going to be fishing is shallow. Many people though, think it's crazy that I do such a thing. But, I don't think it's very risky when I'm drilling through 15 inches of ice on the main lake. The shores pulled away a little bit, but no big deal.

Any other examples you can think of where If you don't ice fish, you wouldn't understand...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 511 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/29/22 @ 4:02 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
USER SINCE 3/29/20

I made a stupid mistake on thin ice new years day 2015 and ended up going through the ice on my snowmobile I made it out of the water ok . Later my buddy and I walked out to retrieve the ice fishing gear that some how didn't go thru with me . Long story short we set up and fished that evening and killed the eyes and perch if you don't ice fish you wouldn't understand!

11/29/22 @ 4:00 PM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

On how to dress and how not to.   The pic of cars on the ice that PHAT sent.  :    I was there that day for the ice sculpturing and saw a woman drive out and when she got out she was decked out in a mink fur coat and was wearing stilleto heels.   We’ll, she took 3-4 steps and slipped and cracked her head on the ice,badly, as there was blood.   Luckily there were EMTs on hand.      CARPIO 

11/29/22 @ 12:19 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

If you don't ice fish... You wouldn't understand...

Around 200 rescued after ice breaks free on Upper Red Lake 

Around 200 people fishing on Upper Red Lake were rescued Monday after a large sheet of ice broke free from the main shoreline, according to authorities...

• In December 2018, 35 fishermen were rescued in Duluth after a huge ice chunk broke off in Lake Superior...
  • In February 2019, 100 anglers were rescued on Lake of the Woods after weather conditions prevented many from escaping...
  • In February 2021, a four-hour rescue resulted in 66 anglers rescued from an ice floe on Lake Michigan...

11/23/22 @ 3:26 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

How laughable some people are ignoring basic safety tips when ice fishing...

If you don't ice fish... You wouldn't understand...

11/23/22 @ 10:02 AM
tzeilstra
USER SINCE 8/4/08

When you laugh at all of the people who don't ice fish trying to lecture you about ice safety...

11/22/22 @ 10:56 AM
Fonzie
USER SINCE 1/4/09

When you do your summer recon runs in Chicagoland and luckily find a place that isn't posted No Trespassing...

You see a defined weed edge at this place that's only a short distance from shore...

You patiently wait for safe ice and sure enough you start catching 8"+ gills and a few bass...

Having friends that don't ice fish poking fun at you for sitting on the ice staring into a hole...

If you don't ice fish...

11/21/22 @ 4:40 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

When you watch the forecast and it seems each day is getting warmer and warmer than it was supposed to be three days ago and it gets you mad! If you don’t ice fish…

11/12/22 @ 9:44 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

F L A G !!!

Not sure what that means?

If You Don't Ice Fish... You Wouldn't Understand...

11/8/22 @ 9:38 AM
Dave1234
USER SINCE 9/8/09

When it’s sunny and no wind 10degrees doesn’t feel that cold!  I ask people to go out fishing and they think I am crazy!

I agree.  Temps look very cold starting Friday night.  Maybe we will on the ice in Dec down here!

11/8/22 @ 4:33 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
MEMBER SINCE 12/25/01

My ice fishing tackle box.

Note,picture taken on lake Delavan the year they opened it back up to fishing.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 511 POSTS
Advertise here
Okuma's new Ceymar HD spinning reels are lightweight and feature-packed with a corrosion-resistant frame, side plate and rotor. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Ceymar HD Spinning Reel
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.