MORE
Ice Fishing

If You Don't Ice Fish...You wouldn't understand

3/30/09 @ 10:16 AM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I'm all for ice safety. I'd say that all of us probably are. But so many aspects of ice fishing seem very dangerous to people who don't ice fish themselves. For example, connecting a ladder to the main ice on a lake, or wearing chest waders and hopping on the main ice shelf is not really a dangerous activity if you know the lake well enough. Especially if the water you are crossing to get to the ice is shallow and the water you are going to be fishing is shallow. Many people though, think it's crazy that I do such a thing. But, I don't think it's very risky when I'm drilling through 15 inches of ice on the main lake. The shores pulled away a little bit, but no big deal. Any other examples you can think of where If you don't ice fish, you wouldn't understand...
Displaying 1 to 15 of 511 posts
11/29/22 @ 5:02 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

I made a stupid mistake on thin ice new years day 2015 and ended up going through the ice on my snowmobile I made it out of the water ok . Later my buddy and I walked out to retrieve the ice fishing gear that some how didn't go thru with me . Long story short we set up and fished that evening and killed the eyes and perch if you don't ice fish you wouldn't understand!

11/29/22 @ 5:00 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

On how to dress and how not to.   The pic of cars on the ice that PHAT sent.  :    I was there that day for the ice sculpturing and saw a woman drive out and when she got out she was decked out in a mink fur coat and was wearing stilleto heels.   We’ll, she took 3-4 steps and slipped and cracked her head on the ice,badly, as there was blood.   Luckily there were EMTs on hand.      CARPIO 

11/23/22 @ 11:02 AM
tzeilstra
User since 8/4/08

When you laugh at all of the people who don't ice fish trying to lecture you about ice safety...

11/22/22 @ 11:56 AM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

When you do your summer recon runs in Chicagoland and luckily find a place that isn't posted No Trespassing...

You see a defined weed edge at this place that's only a short distance from shore...

You patiently wait for safe ice and sure enough you start catching 8"+ gills and a few bass...

Having friends that don't ice fish poking fun at you for sitting on the ice staring into a hole...

If you don't ice fish...

If You Don't Ice Fish...You wouldn't understand photo by Fonzie
11/21/22 @ 5:40 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

When you watch the forecast and it seems each day is getting warmer and warmer than it was supposed to be three days ago and it gets you mad! If you don’t ice fish…

11/8/22 @ 10:38 AM
Dave1234
User since 9/8/09

When it’s sunny and no wind 10degrees doesn’t feel that cold!  I ask people to go out fishing and they think I am crazy!

I agree.  Temps look very cold starting Friday night.  Maybe we will on the ice in Dec down here!

11/8/22 @ 5:33 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01

My ice fishing tackle box.

Note,picture taken on lake Delavan the year they opened it back up to fishing.

If You Don't Ice Fish...You wouldn't understand photo by jumpsteady
If You Don't Ice Fish...You wouldn't understand photo by jumpsteady
11/7/22 @ 4:47 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Just about go time. Where did that thread go anyway? The forecast looks like a bitter change in a few days. Especially up north here. Small lakes will be ready soon!

10/9/22 @ 10:06 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

It's funny how every year around this time I start to think about ice fishing and get kinda excited. Then when it gets here all I can think about is how much easier it is to be in a boat and cast to any water I can reach with ease. Grass is always greener on the other side I guess. I do enjoy sight fishing gills, and sitting in the truck watching tip-ups where the coffee is warm and I can fish in jeans and a hoodie. 

It's loads of fun to get a large group together on a weekday when you have the lake to yourself. A few cold ones, some venison sandwiches with horseradish mayo. Everyone yelling when a flag goes up. Letting the kiddos ice the fish. Yep. That's as good as it gets. Hard to find people who have weekdays off, so that is almost non-existent now. Soon I'll be retired, and can be really choosy about when I go.

10/1/22 @ 10:09 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

So do eagles lol!

If You Don't Ice Fish...You wouldn't understand photo by Fv.screaming drags.com
10/1/22 @ 8:56 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01

Seagulls know what a tipup is.

9/29/22 @ 4:50 PM
Direwolf66
PRO MEMBER User since 2/21/20

AAHHH!!! The first frost of the year!

2/6/22 @ 8:00 PM
Dave1234
User since 9/8/09

Planning what to grill for lunch!  Venison blackstraps, burgers, chili! All of the above???

2/6/22 @ 7:51 PM
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02

Why is there always one b-hole minnow that refuses to leave the minnow bucket when you’re trying to dump them out? I have to have some sort of mini seizure to get it out. 

2/1/22 @ 7:52 AM
Lake bum
Lake bum
User since 3/28/18

The sound of an old jiffy ice auger at day break! 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 511 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE