MORE
Ice Fishing

Ice rod strike indicators

1/4/19 @ 2:24 PM
INITIAL POST
Username
Username
User since 2/27/18

No ice still where I'm so while I can not fish - I do another fishing-related activity - I make homemade fishing tackle. Here is a video about how I make very simple strike indicators:

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
1/30/21 @ 10:03 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

This sure brings back a lot of old memories ... Believe it or not strike indicators have been around a long time. Back in the 60's we would take braided wire leaders, cut off about 4" and the barrel swivel swivel attached to the loop. You could get 2 indicators out of one leader. We simply taped it on the rod end  and ran the line thru the existing loop. I'm thinkin 30# wire braid worked out the best for panfish.

1/25/21 @ 2:51 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Has anyone tried making one of these strike indicators?  I have some cut up but haven't finalized them.  I don't use a strike indicator often but I have a few rods they might be useful on.

1/5/19 @ 8:03 AM
UFCreel
User since 1/4/11

Saw this and thought i would share. https://youtu.be/RaAqV6_cHJk

1/4/19 @ 9:51 PM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08

I agree. Very cool idea. Thanks for sharing the video. 

1/4/19 @ 4:21 PM
Username
Username
User since 2/27/18

Thank you, AWichman. You probably have a nice rod with a sensitive tip. 

I started ice fishing two years ago. I had used my relatives' gear until the last winter. Then, the last winter, still without knowing much about ice fishing, bought a rod.

But it was too stiff for panfish we usually catch. My relative gave me a storebought spring indicator but ice would accumulate inside the spring to the point the line didn't move without pulling (it was a very cold winter). I didn't like using it. So I made a temporary solution that eliminates the problem, just for the next day. And as is well known, there is no anything more permanent than a temporary solution. 

I liked the indicator so I made a bunch of them and used the whole winter. 

1/4/19 @ 3:14 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

I'm not a big spring bobber guy, but man that is pretty nice use of household waste items. Nice video.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE