SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Ice Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2

12/13/18 @ 9:46 AM
INITIAL POST
deeog
User since 12/14/16

Has anyone have a Ice Helix 7, I have a Marcum LX 5 and thinking of going to the Hummingbird. Are they worth the money and a dependable unit. Honest reviews please. 

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
2/2/21 @ 5:10 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Year-Round Capable: The ICE HELIX 5 CHIRP G2 works with all compatible HELIX 5 CHIRP G2 transducers. Simply install an accessory transducer, power cord and gimbal mount on your boat and you'll be ready to hit the water even after the ice melts.

?Why not just order the ice kit from somewhere were it isn't backordered????
2/2/21 @ 3:17 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I currently own a Helix 5 G2 CHIRP GPS DI set up on my boat.  I have the ice conversion kit for it on backorder through another website, and doesn't sound like it'll be in anytime soon. I have an option to buy a Helix 5 ice chirp G2 (the entire unit, head+transducer+case) for not much more than I’d be paying for the conversion kit. Since the Ice CHIRP G2 does not have the GPS and my current head does, there should be no issue using my current head instead, right? Also, would I be able to use the head from the Helix 5 ice chirp G2 as an open water unit using an appropriate transducer (e.g. trolling motor transducer)?

1/22/20 @ 8:10 PM
GillHooker
User since 2/19/13

Ok thanks, jwogg. It'll be used only for ice fishing so that's a relief to hear I'm not missing out on much if anything with the G2 vs G3.

Next question...from what I've read Lakemaster chips are generally preferred over Navionics chips. But a couple of the lakes I fish the most when I go to ND are not available on Lakemaster. So I'm looking the at Navionics Hotmaps Platinum North chip. Anyone have any feedback on that chip specifically or the Hotmaps Platinum chips in general?

1/22/20 @ 7:38 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

Gillhooker, the g2 cannot be upgraded to a g3, they are completely different units.  Just about all of the differences are in open water mode. The g3 with side imaging comes equipped with mega imaging. The g2 didn't. 

1/22/20 @ 4:51 PM
GillHooker
User since 2/19/13

New Helix (7 Ice GPS G2) owner with a few questions for you seasoned Helix vets.  Strictly speaking for ice fishing, is there much difference between the G2 and the new G3?  Also, can the G2 be upgraded to G3 via software update?  Thanks

1/15/19 @ 10:08 AM
deeog
User since 12/14/16

I have had one now for 3 or so weeks. Still do not know everything about it but I really like it to this point.

1/14/19 @ 10:37 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

I am also looking into something like this..I have a vexilar and love it im not looking to replace that so I just want a unit to use with a lakemaster chip for marking way points... sonething I can mount on my atv and use to track travel routes and what not.. with that being said can I get by with like a helix 5 without all the extra bells and whistles? I do not have a boat so I simply am just looking for a good affordable gps..thanks for any input

12/31/18 @ 9:21 AM
packmann66
packmann66
User since 1/20/02

Just bought one 5 minutes ago. Forgot my vexilar at home, 4 hours away. The only bad reviews I found were from a guy in Canada that can't get lake maps and the early 5 model was buggy. I'm really excited to give it a shot. 

12/19/18 @ 6:05 PM
deeog
User since 12/14/16

Thanks for the comments. I did go with a ice helix 7. 

12/14/18 @ 11:46 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

They are great, crisp display, great target seperation, the 2d sonar split screen is a great addition. It's nice to have gps all in 1 package.  The power draw is higher than normal flashers so a lithium battery is recommended.  Got a 10ah lithium from www.energizedoutdoors.com with charger for $79. That battery combined with turning down the brightness to 4 or 5 let's it run for 17 hours or more. I originally bought it for my boat, went with the side imaging model, so I can use it all year long. I have yet to find a negative about the unit.

12/13/18 @ 11:34 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I have G1 with just Sonar/GPS. Love it. Chirp in GII is supposed to be much nicer. No lag, flasher mode, excellent target separation. The GPS with LakeMaster is amazing. I really don't have anything bad to say about it except it does use batteries up.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE