MORE
Ice Fishing

Ice Fishing Road Trip?

11/9/20 @ 12:35 PM
INITIAL POST
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
PRO MEMBER User since 9/23/01

Been thinking about big perch out of Devils Lake ND. Has anyone made the trek to DL or has everyone stopped short and fished Wisconsin or Minnesota waters? Ten hour drive to Devils Lake just saying.

Would love to bring in a few big Perch and not feel like I needed to release them because they are the future of the fishery. Walleye and bluegill a bonus just want to try someplace new. Any tips on fishing the Mississippi during ice season. Minnesota? Iowa?

Need to fish new water and have an adventure. PM if you prefer. Thanks.

Mac Da Gaff

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
12/4/20 @ 10:17 AM
Smallie Chaser
Smallie Chaser
PRO MEMBER User since 7/13/01

Ended up booking with Trapper's Landing on Leech. They are a little more expensive, but it sounds like they have much more to offer in regards to fishing information, and resources. We'll be there January 20-24. Ice should be good and solid by then.

12/1/20 @ 12:39 PM
Smallie Chaser
Smallie Chaser
PRO MEMBER User since 7/13/01

I am planning a trip somewhere this winter also. I went to Leech twice 2010 & 2012. It was pretty good for perch and walleyes then, but I have heard recently the perch aren't as plentiful. Has anyone heard that? Also heard they might be cutting the daily bag limit on perch to 10 or 15. We would be looking to go probably sometime in January. Anyone have a better suggestion for a lake, or lakes?

Thanks

11/23/20 @ 10:19 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
PRO MEMBER User since 2/12/02

Oh,  and I have been to Devils Lake............  We do a week because the wind may blow you off a day or two...........but definitely a trip for your bucket list.  A few years back the brother and I kept 10 each for the wall. Total weight 40# 3/4 oz  they were so big the looked deformed with their hump backs. 

11/23/20 @ 10:02 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
PRO MEMBER User since 2/12/02

Fish Hound.............you mean you go some place other than the Big C.  Walked out with you a few year back checking ice depths.  I would love to tag along on a Mississippi trip.

11/15/20 @ 4:44 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

We've fished all over the Midwest but have had such fun fishing the Mississippi we haven't gone much further than that in a few years.

If your headed out there to fish do your research, pack light, and be prepared for some long walks.

11/15/20 @ 10:08 AM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
PRO MEMBER User since 9/23/01

Glad to hear that I am not the only one looking to expand my ice fishing horizons. I have seen some crazy good catches from the Mississippi backwaters and might give that a try.

A couple of guys in my fishing crew plow snow for a little extra $. We might need to keep it in the 3-5 hour range, just in case a storm blows up, and they have to get into their plow trucks and work.

I appreciate your feed back and I am a little surprised that no one else travels to get onto fish on different waters.

PM me if you prefer,

Mac

11/13/20 @ 8:24 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

I have fished all three you mentioned i can say they are all choices you won't regret in my opinion mn dnr does waaay better job managing lakes than wi. i live in Milwaukee and only ice fish 3 to 11hours away i have caught plenty of big perch and a lot of keepers some big pike and walleye and gills a lot of gills. Summer is the same 3 to 11hours away l have fished all over Wisconsin and can say what your looking for take the drive. Pictures are from 3 days fishing 3 to 11 hours away last year.

11/12/20 @ 9:28 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Devils is definitely a fun place to fish. There are also a ton of small glacial lakes in the surrounding area that produce really nice fish. They aren't as vast as Devils and can be patterned fairly quick. Another area to look into is the Walker MN area.

Otherwise, there are lakes in northern Wisconsin that have some really amazing fishing for perch and walleye. A little bit of time invested on the DNR website looking at creel surveys can help find some overlooked gems. If you look at population densities and size % within that you can find some really good fishing away from damn near anyone. 

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Fishing/reports

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE