Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Ice cleats

1/31/18 @ 1:43 PM
ORIGNAL POST
1shot
User since 9/17/01

Who has the best ice cleats? looking to replace my old Artic Spurs that keep poking holes in the base of my shack. I saw several people with Yaktrax last weekend so I bought a pair for myself, they broke on my first walk out on Lake Geneva yesterday. Any other suggestions?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/3/18 @ 9:50 AM
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

Ouch. Sorry about that Greyghost.

2/3/18 @ 6:15 AM
Greyghost
User since 6/24/01

Was out last weekend Slick ice then it started to snow made things real slick. Fished for 2 hours was moving next thing I know I am on the ice cant breath holding my side. Was down for almost 45 minutes trying to regain my breath. Son and friend lifted me up hour later I felt good enough to walk off Have been off work all week and will be for some time. Cracked a few ribs painful. What ever you do or think ice cleats are great but they might fill with snow and when that happens they aren't much good. I sat down and did some online looking order a pair of stabilizers just hope they work, might not know till next year, Don't realize how many times a day you cough or sneeze 13 yesterday 5 already to day you hurt ribs you keep track

2/2/18 @ 3:16 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

I’m not sure what they could be wearing down on. The only surface that could come into play is a gravel, not concrete, boat launch I’ve been walking out from....but that’s only a 25 yard jaunt. When I rotated them it did seem like the stud material was a softer metal than what you’d use on something like this. 

2/2/18 @ 8:31 AM
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08

Kahtoola micro spikes. These I have. Little pricey but ease to put on and they stay on. 

2/2/18 @ 7:10 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

what are they wearing down on?  I never seen the over boots till now,  i looked them up.  Same bottom design it looks like.  

I guess I never had an issue, the ice isn't wearing down the studs on the bottom of mine.  I feel they are as good now as day one.

2/1/18 @ 11:36 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Mine haven’t seen concrete either. They must not make them like they used to...or the design on the overshoes is different than that of the strap on kind. 

2/1/18 @ 7:43 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Im on year 6 and never replaced one but they also never see concrete.  

2/1/18 @ 3:18 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

How often are you changing the studs on your stabilicers? I have a pair of overboots and I like them but after a week I had to rotate the studs. After another week I had to replace them because they were worn down. The next set of bolts I put in them will be a higher grade of bolt. 

2/1/18 @ 2:55 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Mr Seaguar,  I 100% agree.  There is nothing better out there.

With the icers you have FULL coverage all around your feet.  full heal coverage.  they truly don't get any better than stabilicers Maxx.  I've tried to go cheap year in and year out.  When you try these you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.  The full strap on top and around the ankle,  they last a LONG time and don't slip at all.

2/1/18 @ 7:47 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Yaktrax pro.

Yaktrax diamond grip definitely have more traction as do several other brands, but unless cleats have the strap that comes over the top, they don't work with my lacrosse alphaburly's with how much I transition from kneeling to standing during a day.

I've put my yaktrax pros on first day of the season and don't take them off till the end of the season for two years now and they've held up great without needing to be adjusted or taken off to go into gas stations, bars, etc.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.