SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Ice Auger

11/18/20 @ 12:36 PM
INITIAL POST
stapes
PRO MEMBER User since 8/28/05

Hello everyone, did a little search didn’t find too much, my friends wife wants to buy him an ice auger for Christmas present I was thinking battery powered possibly maybe 2 cycle also, I own a two cycle myself I don’t mind mixing gas and oil but I know my friends not too crazy about it, would you guys stick with a two cycle or would you go to battery operated route thanks,Steve

Displaying 1 to 15 of 65 posts
2/19/21 @ 6:19 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

Fished yesterday with a buddy who just bought a new ION 40v ice auger. I've had my Jiffy propane for almost 5 years now without any issues, starts instantly, maybe 2 pulls when cold, overall love it. I was really impressed with the new electric. We had 16" of ice and I did the old 1000-1 1000-2 type count as he drilled, it took roughly 5 seconds to drill through. My propane was roughly double that.

He also paid roughly $550 for it so certainly not for everyone. The part that impressed me the most beyond the speed was it felt as though it was pulling itself down through the ice, no pressure by me when using it. 

Long term remains to see how it holds up, a spare battery is also pricey, not sure if needed. Wouldn't say run out and buy one, but I was really impressed over all. 

Edit: Just to followup, he fished the next day and estimates he drilled 60 to 70 holes through 16/18" of ice before he needed to recharge the battery

1/13/21 @ 9:17 AM
racinefishslayer
racinefishslayer
User since 1/23/08

I have a jiffy white lightning that’s probably 10-15 years old. Really good auger other than replacing blades that thing drilled a ton of holes.  The main thing for me is it’s a tank. I don’t have an atv or sled so I’m walking. Now I’ve switched to the Milwaukee drill and mora 8”. It works great and is extremely light. I’d like to get one of nylon flighting ones made for a drill but just haven’t yet. I live in SE WI and we don’t see 18-20” of ice very often anymore so it works perfect. The Jiffy is still in the basement though can’t and won’t sell it, too good of an auger.

1/12/21 @ 11:50 PM
Shanatized Walleye
Shanatized Walleye
PRO MEMBER User since 12/8/01

Has anyone used the nimrod ice auger adapter?

1/12/21 @ 10:24 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

SW-I would highly recommend using the Clam plate. It makes the whole setup easier and safer to use. It also takes a lot of the stress away from the drill. The drill itself is probably the most important part of the whole thing. I personally use the Milwaukee and I’ve put together 6 other setups for others using the Milwaukee drill. It’s like the Ford/Chevy argument. As long as the drill has the torque needed it will work. I’ve built both 8” and 10” setups and I used the 1200 inlbs models. Batteries are all relative. The bigger the battery the better. I use a 9ah, but (2) 5ah would work too.  I don’t know about you, but I want my stuff to work every time, all the time.   

1/12/21 @ 9:55 PM
Shanatized Walleye
Shanatized Walleye
PRO MEMBER User since 12/8/01

Ok I've got a old strikemaster gas auger that I want to convert. Should I purchase a clam plate or something else,What about a good drill.New to this conversion thing!Thanks

1/11/21 @ 11:18 AM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

Farm and fleet had the 24v 8in on sale over the weekend for 299 couldn't pass it up

1/10/21 @ 5:14 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

Just pulled the pin on that StrikeMaster that Budman is talking about. $350 at Farm and Fleet. Went in on it with a buddy. Picking it up tomorrow.

Tim

1/9/21 @ 11:26 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

Thank u. I will probably have an hc40 for sale very soon

1/9/21 @ 11:05 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

They have been on the market for many years and I have heard very few broken flites and none from normal use.

They are modular so even if you ran it over or smashed it somehow you can replace just the broken piece.

1/9/21 @ 10:43 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

Well I have an hc40 propane..love it.. pulled it out of the shed a few weeks ago 3 pulls and it fired right up. After that first initial fire it starts on 1-3 pulls every time cuts great and is simple to use but...today I tried my step dads 24v strikemaster...cut around 60 holes through 7inches of ice... living in southern Wisconsin we rarely see ice over 15in.. this auger was so light and easy to use I don't want to carry my propane anymore.  Only thing currently holding me back is more intell on these plastic auger bits? Has anyone ever had 1 break? 

12/26/20 @ 9:05 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

I own all 3 types gas propane and electric all jiffy augers but which ever brand you prefer in the end they all do the same thing is to drill a hole. And how many holes you drill in a day will steer you from on style to another.like others have said I also prefer to use my gas auger when ice is 3'+.But any style will still cut 3' of ice.

12/26/20 @ 11:24 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I'll run my 2 cycle until it dies  . Still starts , and cuts well .  Blow my money on something else .

12/26/20 @ 8:59 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

Cosmic- electric augers have been around for 30+ years. It’s the drill/auger setups that are relatively new. Where did your information about Strikemaster come from? People in the upper north that deal with 3’ plus of ice will always need to use a more efficient gas auger. 

12/26/20 @ 5:37 AM
cosmic
cosmic
User since 6/29/01

Electric is the future of ice augers. StrikeMaster is done making any more gas units. So many benefits. If I were to buy today electric for sure. 

12/24/20 @ 12:06 PM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

I have a jiffy 2 hp. I had it for 25 years now. Still drills good. I dont want to dump any money for drilling a hole in the ice. As for noise I already caught fish within a min. of drilling a hole. I dont think I will need another auger for the rest of my life.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 65 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE