MORE
Ice Fishing

I won't ever do that again!

12/1/20 @ 10:23 PM
INITIAL POST
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Last year I had some mice in my garage after I left some sunflower seeds in the garage.  They got everywhere!  Eventually I thought I trapped all of them and they were gone.  Wrong! Last year I did not use one of my ice shanties and I was going to sell it this year.  I opened it up to set it up to take pictures and there was bedding in there, several holes in the fabric and the whole thing smelled like urine!  Needless to say the shanty is not going to go up for sale and I threw it to the curb! Check your shanties often for mice and stuff laundry sheets in it. Hopefully that deters them away.  Yuck, what a mess!

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
12/8/20 @ 6:41 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

eaglea, I hang one of my shanties from the garage ceiling as well.  No issues other than those dang stink bugs are everywhere this year in my garage! My hub shack is too big to hang, but I may look more into it for next season, possibly hanging a couple of posts down from the ceiling then putting it on top of those.

12pack, I'm not sure about the effects of a cat or dog eating the mouse after mouse has been poisoned.  We're not cat lovers in our house, and I can't even think of any of the neighbors that have one either but every one of use have dogs, so I'll be keeping an eye on mine.  She generally doesn't eat them anyhow, just likes to catch them. 

12/8/20 @ 4:52 PM
eaglea1
User since 10/6/11

I keep my hub shack hanging from a large hook off the rafters in the garage. 

No problems so far.

12/8/20 @ 1:05 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

I just bought some of those pellets, not sure if they are Tomcat or not, but they say they are harmless to pets and humans.  One suggestion is to put them in a bait box, but I didn't have any of those, so I just scattered some of them in the garage where I have seen signs of the mice.  Hopefully it helps.  I did kill a bunch of them this summer when trapping chipmunks in a bucket of water with some seeds.  Matter of fact I killed more mice that way this summer than I did chipmunks!

12/8/20 @ 12:56 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

I have been using the Tomcat poison blocks. The mice will carry the pellet type poisons away, but they need to chew the blocks. I buy the bucket size and I keep a supply out for them to eat all year long. If you have pets, there are formulas that are less lethal. The best method for bating with the blocks, is to put them in a bait station. It lets the mice in and pets out.

12/8/20 @ 11:44 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

I threw the old shanty to the curb and someone grabbed it, so hopefully they'll be able to fix it up and use it still.  I contemplated taking it all apart and getting the poles out of it before I threw it to the curb, but if someone can still use it that's even better, more power to them.

12/2/20 @ 9:41 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

Analog Man, I stored mine inside for years back when I was a single man and had room to do so!  Now they get stored in the garage.  One of my shacks is up on a pulley system that I can just drop it down and put right into my vehicle.  I haven't looked at my hub shack this year yet, but hopefully they didn't get into that one as well. And my pak shak is up on a shelf in the garage.  If the mice climbed the shelves, which I know they can do, it might be damaged as well.  But I think this happened last year when I had a mice problem in the garage.  The pak shak and the hub shack were fine last year.  It's time to stuff laundry sheets and/or steel wool in them from now on!

12/2/20 @ 8:51 AM
Analog man
Analog man
User since 12/10/18

I store mine in my living room.  Just about complete. 

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE