LOGIN
Lake-Link

Hub shanty ice anchors

1/14/22 @ 11:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
killler
killler
USER SINCE 1/15/04

I have a bow hunting blind (pop out hub style) that I may try to use for ice fishing when extra guys want to join along. I have regular straight tent stakes that go into the ground but I’m sure those won’t hold it in a wind. So my question is- should I buy the screw in stakes or the ice angel holders?  Screw in stakes don’t look like will hold up to a good wind burst.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

1/14/22 @ 5:11 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
USER SINCE 3/23/20

So I got a Eskimo 949I comes with the deluxe tie down kit. The anchors hold real good and same with the straps. I've been in 30-40mph gusts and they have always held tight. A buddy has a older Eskimo 949 with the same anchors which work the same just the tie down ropes are white ropes like on a tent for camping has not straps and the ropes do loosen a bit compared to the straps. The anchors have always held tight. Here's pics of what I got. Also the Eskimo is alot easier than some other brands to setup in the wind due to the anchoring setup in the wind I put the anchors in on the 4 corners and then pop it up then attach the tie down straps as needed and have never had a problem. I've seen guys use hunting blinds before just didn't see how they anchor them and use drill with a adapter or it will take a while to screw in the anchors.

1/14/22 @ 3:35 PM
imskratty
MEMBER SINCE 6/18/01

I have a small rectangular pop-up shack that requires screw-in anchors if wind is 10+ especially if outside of it tending to tipups or whatnot.  The grommet tabs are on the outside corners and the length x width dimension does not change when setting up, so it is possible to anchor it prior to popping up and collapsing it before removing the anchors.  That is a big help if really windy- no need to fight it or hang on.  Curious to know if that is possible with the larger Eskimo-type shanties.

1/14/22 @ 2:57 PM
MRGLAX
USER SINCE 10/20/05

The screws hold just fine and as long as it's not super windy I find one on the upwind side is usually enough.  You want to make sure and get the Eskimo style anchors with big deep threads, they can be started and screwed in by hand.  Also recommend grabbing a pack of 1/8" rope ratchets off Amazon for tie downs, you can get a 4 pack for like 8 bucks and they are really handy.

1/14/22 @ 12:27 PM
wi river rat
USER SINCE 4/2/02

I set up my Eskimo 3 with wind gusts to thirty mph on Tuesday.  I used six screw in anchors.  One on each corner with the grommets and two anchored with a rope on the sides. I saw other set ups where the guy had all four sides anchored.  It wasn't pleasant but none of those screws moved at all.  Lucky for me the wind died down towards dusk so taking it down was no problem versus putting it up by myself.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.