Ice Fishing

How to catch a crappie

12/6/21 @ 7:49 PM
INITIAL POST
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20

Greetings all,

I am new to ice fishing. Does anyone have advice on how to catch a nice crappie on the ice?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
1/15/22 @ 2:51 PM
JPitzen42
PRO MEMBER User since 1/8/20

Hey Bassmaster, where were you fishing that you kept 7 northern pike?  Especially keeping hammer handles.  Those need to go back in the hole and get bigger!

1/13/22 @ 9:11 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Nice job! They're not HUGE, but those look to be perfect keeper size. Good sized gill too!

Hoping to get my first fish through the ice tomorrow. 

1/12/22 @ 2:49 PM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13

couple nice crappies there Bass...... are you sure youv'e never fished before? Looks like a nice meal or two of fish.

1/9/22 @ 11:37 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20

Are these big? We would of got a bunch more but those long snake like fish kept biting. They brought very old beer for us drink. Brand was awful also. 

How to catch a crappie photo by Bassmaster+recordracks 2
How to catch a crappie photo by Bassmaster+recordracks 2
12/16/21 @ 8:02 AM
Alternative Reefer
User since 5/4/18

Get a live scope and catching crappies becomes childs play.  Seriously, hammered hundreds of them last year.  See a school coming in.  Drop into the school and slowly bring it out of the school and you get chasers.  I will admit it feels a little like cheating.

12/14/21 @ 2:48 PM
crappieguy
User since 2/11/02

as other have said, Tip Downs with a 14 or 16 treble and crappie minnows.   Drill an extra couple holes between 5 and 10 feet from your tip downs.   When you catch one on a tip down start jigging in the hole close to it.  Normally you can tell the direction that the school is moving by the direction of the tip down line.

If you are interested I sell tip downs

How to catch a crappie photo by crappieguy
12/10/21 @ 8:26 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Also sometimes there just under the ice less than a foot under the ice those always catch me of guard but it happens.

12/9/21 @ 4:30 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

Perfect the "wobble".  Its not a fast jig.  Kind of like making a wave in your rod tip or spring, with no slack being put in line.  Keep the wobble going as the fish is moving towards bait.  Do not stop.  Keep bait above fish.  Do not drop the bait to fish.  Even if fish is not moving.  Keep the bait moving above them.  Be aware of "up bites".  Bites where instead of rod tip going down, rod tip pops up with slack put in line.  Set the hook.  I also have crappies do the "bite and hold".  When this happens, the rod doesn't go up nor down.  Just your "wobble" stops.  Set the hook.  I do better with lighter jigs.  Crappies seem to get spooked by fast falling jigs.  

12/9/21 @ 3:38 PM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

When using tip downs I have my best luck using the smallest treble hook you can get, I usually use #14 or #16 and the smallest minnow in the bucket.

12/9/21 @ 8:13 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Tip down tipped with a Rosie or fathead works for me.

12/9/21 @ 6:25 AM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

Jigs and waxies are great. Minnows as well. Small spoons and jig n raps work as well. I start in the basin and keep looking. Fish above the marks. 

How to catch a crappie photo by Fish4Musky
12/8/21 @ 11:55 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

In shallow water 6' or less use lil cecil tipped with couple waxy's and jig just below the ice. 

12/8/21 @ 9:34 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

In the pothole lakes of southeastern wisconsin fish the deeper holes - some are 20 feet, others are as deep as 50 feet.  That's where I've had luck finding them. An hour before sunset until an hour after sunset is best time, though early mornings can be good as well.  Hali jigs tipped with waxworms work well.  Glow in the dark, even better!

12/8/21 @ 1:24 AM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

I fine them quite difficult to catch on the ice, however if you use your locator and locate a school of them in the water, now you have a real chance to catch one. Put your bait above the school (they like to feed up), and while holding your pole, scratch your crouch, to give your bait about the right action for crappie. Crappie fishing is always enjoyable, even if they are negative. Love fishing dem crappies. Best of luck.

12/7/21 @ 9:25 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Fish the last hour of daylight, till completely dark.   Fatheads for bait.    CARPIO 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE