MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

How many hours and/or days are you on the ice? And Who do you go with?

1/27/18 @ 12:10 AM
ORIGNAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I often take one or two of the kids with me. We have a good time!  About once a year the whole family fishes together. All five of us. I also try to get out a few times a year just by myself. I enjoy fishing alone sometimes.

I probably fish with just friends or relatives (no kids) about four times a year.  My wife and I usually get out once a year just us two.  

Overall, I'd say I ice fish about 16 times per ice season. Most of my trips fall into that 4-6 hour (ice time) range. 

I usually fish from the earliest time I feel safe on the ice to the latest time I feel safe. Up here, that's about late November through early April in my experience. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/30/18 @ 9:11 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Hit first ice and then back off usually.  So - 5-10 times right away on average 4 hour each.  Then sturgeon spearing for 2-4 days.  Maybe 1-3 days chasing whitebass on 'bago and 1-3 days chasing whitefish on Green Bay.  So depending on the year (and snow - if possible, snowmobiling comes 1st) 7-15 days for an average of 4-5 hours each. 

1/30/18 @ 9:05 AM
Getting it in
Getting it in
User since 12/28/17

I fish with some amazing guys and ladies. Mostly Southeastern wisc. Probably around 15 hours with them. By myself I usually fish another 15 hours through out the week. So happy I have a wife that is willing to put up with 3-5 drunks on the ice and then take us all home. ??

1/30/18 @ 8:36 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

As much as i can. 

I try to get out for a few hours, a couple times, by myself, during the week. To fish, scout and plan.

And try to get in at least 12hrs on Saturday and Sunday. Depending on where, tournaments and if we fish two different locations. 

Majority of the time my lead hunting and fishing partner (my son) rolls with me. And usually two close friends. Wife will pick up and/or drop my daughters off some days. They're out about half the time. Wife will come out once or twice a season.

It's funny, made me think. I have a handful of "will trust with my life" friends. Been kickin with these guys forever. But during the two seasons (fishing/waterfowl) they dont mix. Three dont fish, two don't hunt. Need to get these guys to mix it up. Lol...

1/29/18 @ 4:41 PM
onoudont
User since 2/21/12

I always told my wife pray I never find a way to get hot water to my shack or she may not see me until the thaw. Use to fish with son but now he is Marine stationed in hawaii.Now I fish mostly alone. This way i can get on as early as I want to and leave when I want to and not hear "Are we ready to go?"

at least 20 hours a week

1/29/18 @ 4:26 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

I used to fish a lot by myself. But the last couple of years it's been me and my son. He's 13 now. Outings are usually 4 - 5 hours to local lakes. One state park lake and a private pond. It's usually just on Saturday. But we did get our for 2 hours last week after work once and this last Sunday. We don't catch a lot but enjoy just spending the time with him and fishing. He's outgrowing stuff every year. Snow pants, boots, gloves, etc. 

1/29/18 @ 2:30 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Since I'm in the south burbs of Chicago it really depends on ice conditions.  Normally I get out 3-4 times in Illinois and one or two 2-3 day trips per year in Wisconsin. This year has been fantastic with safe ice for a while now.  I try to get out at least once per week on either a Saturday or Sunday, but sometimes I'll do both.  I don't ever have time during the week unless I take a day off, but I'd rather save that time for soft water or hunting.  I'm not sure of the exact total, but I'd say I'm at 8 or 9 trips right now.  I went to a fisheree last weekend in Wisconsin with a group of about 12 people, once by myself last Sunday in Wisconsin, and the rest has been local ponds near home with my buddy I've been fishing with since I was a kid.

1/29/18 @ 8:41 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Like pike eyes, most my  kids are grown and/or live far away. My wife loves shopping, not fishing! I do get out once or twice a season with a couple of my son's. 80% of the time I fish alone. Half the time I just want to get away from people and totally relax. Other times I can't line up someone to Fish with, everyone is busy. I catch more fish by myself, but sometimes you want to share the wealth with others. If I fish with people who don't get out as much as me, I usually let them take most or even all the flags. It's fun to see their excitement.  I prolly average 1.5 trips a week, so no need to be greedy. I hit heavily pressured lakes when it's raining, ice or open water. Lots of times I have the whole lake to myself. All you need is some good gear.

1/29/18 @ 8:00 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I only fish weekends and typically get out both Saturday and Sunday. This weekend was going to be the first weekend I didn't get out but I managed to get out a couple hours last night. I keep a log of all my fishing trips so I can see how much I get out and watch for patterns. I jot down how long I fished, how I did, where I fished and the weather conditions. Kind of fun to read it at the end of the season.

My son is ~8 months old so I limit myself to about 4-5 hours in the AM. I am on the lake by 630/7 AM and am home by 12/1PM to be able to spend the afternoon with my son and wife which works out well. Next year I'll be able to fish all day because he'll be with me :)

1/29/18 @ 7:27 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

My kids are grown and all over the country. I fish with my old lady and a small group of friends occasionally. We fish mostly weekends spending from Ffriday night on the ice until sometime sunday morning. Its the whole weekend thing for us. We bring our 3 dogs and they have a ball playing on the ice too....Having a remodeled 17' camper helps us get this done in comfort with a Queen size bed to sleep in. Probably close to 40hrs a week.

1/28/18 @ 10:07 PM
shadling1
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Used to go 3-4 days a week. Alot by myself and some with others. Don't honestly even go anymore. Most lakes around me are very crowded even in the week and I don't care to fish near people if I can help it. I don't target gamefish only panfish during the winter. Honestly since I really got into fishing crappies on WI river flowages during open water, fishing them through the ice is less exciting. These days there are other things I'd rather do in the winter besides watch a flasher screen all day, whether I'm catching or not. The way the winters have gone latley I have open water I can fish crappies or bass March thru November each year. I just do other things for a few months. I now concentrate on soft water and can usually get out close to 100 days a year.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.