LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

How do you get to your ice fishing spot? Walk...Sled...ATV/UTV...Other?

7/17/22 @ 3:15 PM
INITIAL POST
lovestofishnhunt
PRO MEMBER User since 6/13/06

In 2020, I purchased a brand new Polaris 570 hunter edition ATV, mainly for deer hunting.  Sure as luck would have it, the next year I lost that land after 32 years of hunting on it.  I am now going to try my luck at public land hunting so the ATV isn't really useful in that regard. So, here my ATV sits in the garage.  I also ice fish, but not as much as I like to hunt.  Considering selling the ATV.  I've really never used an ATV on the ice.  I've always dragged my stuff out but I could see how having a motorized way of hauling my gear may be handy.  

How do you guys/gals get out to your ice fishing spots?  Do a lot of you use a motorized way of hauling your gear out or do you just walk it out?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
12/10/22 @ 11:33 AM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

crawdaddy, 

I tried this stuff a few years ago. It worked fine for a trip or two, but didn't last.

How do you get to your ice fishing spot?  Walk...Sled...ATV/UTV...Other? photo by Fonzie
12/9/22 @ 10:37 PM
Wharf Dwarf II
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/10

I went to st vinnies and got a small pair of skis and bolted them on.  Keep the shack up a little and pulls rea well 

12/9/22 @ 1:50 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

What do you use to protect sleds?  I rub some ski wax on the bottom of my Otter sled and smooth with some cork.  Anyone ever try using ceramic car coating on bottom of sled or ice shack?

11/28/22 @ 8:37 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

All of the above by foot, boat, snowmobile or atv whatever the situation calls  for!

11/28/22 @ 7:05 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

I walk to my spot.  Until this year, I stored gear in a pair of 5 gallon buckets.  But word on the street says a big otter sled will be under the Christmas tree this year.

11/28/22 @ 5:08 PM
hardofherring
User since 2/24/18

all the above and add pick up truck

11/21/22 @ 6:09 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Lost my access to a private lake. I'll have to do it the way we did 30+ years ago, paddle down the river to the iced over lake. The river doesn't ice over unless it's a few days of -10 below 0

11/15/22 @ 3:57 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

On foot. Most of the places to fish that are close to home don't allow machines. I don't own any at the moment either. But if I were to live somewhere that allows machines I would invest in something. Walking just limits how far I am willing to venture.  

11/5/22 @ 10:47 AM
gram
User since 11/11/14

I head out on my old 83 Honda Big Red.  A couple sets of chains and 16" snow   NO PROBLEM.

9/26/22 @ 9:19 AM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

on another note.. has anybody heard or read anything on whether the dnr has changed the passenger law for ice travel on an atv? looked everywhere with no results

7/23/22 @ 8:18 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Pretty simple. The easiest, quickest way you have available. ????

7/21/22 @ 9:07 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I have a Bombardier Outlander 400 that I equipped with a 24”x40” basket on the rear flat rack. I can load my one man Otter flip over in that basket. In the Otter I can store my locator, two 5 gallon bucket’s, heater, tackle box and a small cooler for food and drinks as well as two rod cases. The Otter is held in place with two bungee straps. On the front carrier I place my Strikemaster auger and secure that with a pair of bungee straps. My Otter sled is quite old before they came with seats so I fashioned a 2x10 that spans the sled from side to side and mounted a fold down swivel boat seat to it. The 2x10 has 3/4x3/4” cleats to keep it centered on the sled rim. I reinforced the sides of the sled with a 1/2” plywood panel to prevent them from buckling with the added weight of me sitting on the seat. With two 1 lb LP cylinders I can heat the Otter for 12 hours. I am portable, self contained and set for a whole day on the ice. I can also place the auger on the loaded Otter sled and secure with bungee straps and walk out, being in my mid 60’s that’s gotta be a short easy walk or I’m not trying it. 

7/20/22 @ 7:14 PM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

Always walk. I only fish small lakes.

7/19/22 @ 7:38 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

Muck Boots.

7/19/22 @ 9:44 AM
Dead Dog
User since 4/14/21

Snowmobile, Fan Cooled will run with Or without snow.  Much cheaper than 4 wheeler.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE