Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

How close is too close ?

10/26/18 @ 12:57 PM
ORIGNAL POST
PRyan
User since 9/30/17

Ethically, how close can you fish to a "permanent"  ice house / shanty that is not occupied.  Repeat - not occupied.

If I get out their early and "nobody is home" how close can I fish.   I'm not talking feet - I'm talking yards.    I respect the space but how much territory is theirs to claim.   I fish out of a portable ice house.

Do you leave when someone finally arrives - if they do?

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 74 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/30/18 @ 10:21 PM
beanbag
User since 12/17/09

You don't get it...The holes are INSIDE the shack. drill as many as you want around it. Fish where ever you want. Nobody cares.

10/30/18 @ 7:24 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

In all honesty I hardly ever have this problem, but I agree with BT in general.  I don't think all people with perm shacks are jerks or trying to be, but some guys definitely put their shacks right on productive cribs.  Those guys may not show up for 2 weeks, does that mean no one can fish those spots?

It really varies on the lake though too.  Quite a few lakes it doesn't matter, others it does.  I can think of one lake in particular where being 10 feet off a crib will produce no fish, but being on top of it will be one after another.  Too many perm shacks on a lake like that could be irritating.  Again though hardly ever happens to me, but I can see it happening.

10/30/18 @ 5:52 AM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

If I had a perm out there I would go inside and fish in it, like it was built for. The one thing I have noticed in the last few years is less perms and more portables. There is no right or wrong answer to this. It is all personal preference. 

10/29/18 @ 9:14 PM
beanbag
User since 12/17/09

I could care less what you do out side my shack. ill be inside in comfort...if you look cold or its windy....come on in. Just don't sit real close to me. 

10/29/18 @ 8:57 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Ok, fair enough.  But let’s say I show up to where your shack is and you’re not there.  I drill holes near it and start fishing.  Then you show up.  Will you give me MY space or intrude on it because your shack is there?

10/29/18 @ 8:49 PM
beanbag
User since 12/17/09

My point is just because there is a permanent shack doesn't mean the person is claiming that spot theirs. What does it matter if someone is in a permanent.....a portable..or just sitting on a bucket. Fish where ever you want just give a guy some space. 

10/29/18 @ 8:05 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Hey, you asked the question.  I simply answered.  Sorry if you didn’t like it.  Good luck on the ice this winter.  If a guy sets up next to you, ask if it’s me.

Edit: truth be told, I go out of my way to avoid most folks so I shouldn’t be a burden to you.  As long as your shack isn’t parked over one of my favorite spots.

10/29/18 @ 7:29 PM
beanbag
User since 12/17/09

Wow bugle....calm down. We get your point. Barge in on everyone and fish where you want. We get it.

10/29/18 @ 7:21 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

‘My point is if the whole lake has one crib that everyone has to fish over then have fun if you cant figure anything else out. What if someone is in a portable over it will you still have to crowd him?’

If I show up at a spot and there’s someone in a portable on the only crib in the lake, I look for another spot.  He/she got outta bed before me, beat me to the spot fair and square and earned the right to the spot for as long as they choose to fish there. I can respect that. If I show up to the same spot and there’s a permanent shack, I have no issues with drilling holes. The permanent shack was placed there to claim a spot as theirs on a public waterway and I don’t respect that.  You have every right to move your shack away from me if that bothers you.

10/29/18 @ 6:26 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Nice to see we’re all on the same team here. Maybe I’ll see you around, stop by have a beer. 

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 74 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.