Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Homemade Ice Fishing Stuff

11/17/11 @ 12:55 AM
ORIGNAL POST
backwoods43
backwoods43
User since 3/14/10
I know there are topics for homemade tip ups, automatic fishermans, etc. I just thought we could wrap it all up in one by showing ANYTHING homemade that could save anyone money or make someones ice fishing trip easier.

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 421 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/9/19 @ 12:21 PM
trotline
User since 1/31/17

I have came up with an idea for the ever increasing vacationing ice campers or summer fishing campers for that matter. I along with a product development company have designed it and a patent is pending. Bag limits are being cut all over and I can see the definite need in most instances for that. Overfishing, Tribal spearing, VHS, and even industrial or agricultural spill accidents are some of the needs to reduce limits.

As far as the growing popularity of the ice camping following, there is no reason given todays space age technology we as sportsmen can not use it to our advantage. Use of this device will define, legally prove and separate one days bag from the next. I am a State of WI licensed Private Detective and my job requires the collection of important evidence for different types of cases to prove guilt or innocence. This device will provide Legal Evidence before the fact. It uses the Atomic Clock as well as the GPS system. It is a stringer/retainer that can be used as a stringer or a retainer/lock for a cooler or live well as well. It is absolutely tamper proof and can not be manipulated in any way. I came up with this idea by ice camping and finding the rules were not fair to the fishermen who may go vacationing for a week at a time or just a weekend for that matter. The law only allows for the person to possess a one days bag limit as long as he or she is on the ice or fishing. The law for bag limit possession is from midnight to midnight day to day. This device will prove that what fish being retained by it can not in any way be confused with the fish that are being caught after midnight being the next day. By use of the Atomic Clock technology which is a US Government entity that has an accuracy of 1 second in 20,000 years, it is time we as sportsmen are able to use it for our benefit. Once your catch is locked on the stringer or in a cooler the Display showing your GPS position, current date and the exact time are locked in. When the device is opened or unlocked the Display will lose all saved data and revert to the current time, date and position. This means that as long as it is left until you return to your residence until unlocking it has irrefutable evidence that you have not been over bagging. It should be possible and legal to possess more than the daily bag limit per species up to the legal possession limit as long as daily bag limits are kept separated legally and do not exceed the possession limit which also have to include what are possessed at the home in the freezer etc.

I am currently looking for a company to make and put it out there. I don't think it would be real expensive either, and would act as a cheap "insurance" for whomever uses it. Do you think it would go over well with sportsmen? I am sure the DNR will really appreciate it, right???????? I am enclosing my promo for it, KEEP'R LEGAL. 

12/9/19 @ 7:19 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I like the spool straps!!!!! Great heads up!!!!

12/8/19 @ 10:43 PM
SmackinBass
SmackinBass
User since 8/24/12

I got sick of dealing with messy line and sharp hooks, so I developed Spool Straps. These durable straps keep your spools wrapped up and your hooks (and you!) protected while your tip ups are in storage or on the move. The industrial strength hook and loop fasteners hold tight in ice and snow much better than the Velcro ones on the market.

$5 each or 3 for $12 + shipping

Be safe, strap it with a Spool Strap! Tight lines (on and off the ice)!

11/30/19 @ 6:30 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Cut down this Styrofoam cooler to fit under seat on smitty sled. Made a custom lid. Turned out pretty good.

3/3/19 @ 12:45 AM
Pannie_chaser
Pannie_chaser
User since 2/25/17
Made some homemade tips downs! They work awesome! 

2/21/19 @ 4:36 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Doing some more mods today built a wind break for my smitty set up. Yes this sled used to have an old otter pop over on it. Thing was just to bulky for dragging. The canvas came off and old frabill speed shak. My brother gave it to me years ago. When i got it the mice had a ready done a number on it. Managed a couple good size pieces off it though. My goal is to keep it as light as possible.

2/19/19 @ 12:05 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Made this little cooler out of bigger cooler and scrap foam. Fits perfect under seat for putting whitefish in to keep from freezing. Was told if the freeze they get mushy. Also rivited rod holder to bucket that store tackle in. Yah that one scoop in third pic is custom as well. Zip tied to a 3 foot stick. No bending down for this guy.

2/17/19 @ 8:27 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

It definitely is better than dragging the roto molded sled by itself but even with CC skis getting the weight back farther is noticeable, especially when the snow is deeper. If you’re traveling light to begin with it might not be that big of a deal but if you start loading them up you want the weight back.  My first sled like this (I’ve built half a dozen or so) had everything centered. It helped but when I really loaded the thing up it was a bear. Moved the risers back as far as they could go, loaded it up the same, and it was easier to pull. 

2/16/19 @ 10:11 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Ulbian made it in about an hour this a.m. before leaving to go fishing. Lots that I can improve on, but worked pretty good on short notice. Pulled it close to 3/4 of a mile today. Used X-country skis, figured centered is better for the camber of the skis. Thanks for the input.

2/16/19 @ 9:43 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

grizzwald...

Two things you can do to improve the efficiency of these sleds.  

1) Move the rear risers back as far as you can on the skis. You want to get the weight as far back as possible. This creates more lift on the front of the skis than if the weight is centered in the middle. 

2) Attach your rope to the front riser and run it through holes drilled in the tips of the skis. Your pulling force will go directly to the home built sled at a lower point and by running the rope through the ski tips it will create a little extra lift to the entire unit.  

The key component in both points above is maximizing the lift you have on the front of the skis. 

There's actually a third thing to add but it's hard to tell from the pictures how yours is set up.  Lengthen the tow rope. That will make it easier to pull than having a short rope will.  Plus, when you are going down banks or hills you can lead your sled as it slides past you. The alternative is having it run up your ankles.  

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 421 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.