MORE
Ice Fishing

Homemade Ice Fishing Stuff

11/17/11 @ 12:55 AM
INITIAL POST
backwoods43
backwoods43
User since 3/14/10
I know there are topics for homemade tip ups, automatic fishermans, etc. I just thought we could wrap it all up in one by showing ANYTHING homemade that could save anyone money or make someones ice fishing trip easier.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 470 posts
2/4/23 @ 3:20 AM
newInCudahy
newInCudahy
User since 2/21/03

Sounds like a meaningful ice carver to me.   

1/30/23 @ 8:11 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

About 25 years ago I made an ice spud with a 4140 steel blade that I heat treated myself to an r/c of about 45.    This means nothing to most folks but I can shear nails with it.   It’s cut 100s of holes and never needed sharpening.      Actually I made 3 of them but gave 1 each to my sons.    

1/30/23 @ 12:00 AM
newInCudahy
newInCudahy
User since 2/21/03

Good tip Polski ! Long time... Hey All. 

1/19/23 @ 11:10 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

A few more pics

Homemade Ice Fishing Stuff photo by Fishlovme
1/19/23 @ 11:09 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

Here are some pics of my homemade tip down.

1/19/23 @ 11:39 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

Loggers, that gives me a great idea on what to do with one of the small antlers I got this year!

I built a homemade tipdown a couple of years ago with PVC pipe but I had troubles getting it to tip just right.  A minor adjustment, I changed from two pipes in the are with two elbows to one pipe that goes up with a tee.  I cut a hole in the tee large enough to get the rod in there so it tips up and down and notched from side to side a spot to fit a coat hanger rod across it to hold the rod in place.  My initial tests in my house have it working really well! Looking forward to trying it sometime soon on some perch or crappie! I'll try and get some pictures one of these days.

4/2/22 @ 10:08 PM
Last Sniff
Last Sniff
User since 1/15/22

Ok thanks Logger, I'm sure I can find all the parts that's needed and I'll go out and do some antler hunting when I'm out in a month or so when I go picking morels.

I hope them kids appreciate what you made for them and get a lot of use from them.

Thanks again.

4/1/22 @ 7:07 AM
logger's hooked up
User since 3/1/11

I drill a hole slightly bigger than the rod dia. About an inch and a half into the antler. I use a good two part epoxy to glue the two together. I don't make to sell these. Would hate to make a fun little winter hobby into a stress filled job. 

4/1/22 @ 4:57 AM
Last Sniff
Last Sniff
User since 1/15/22

Logger's hooked up - those are great looking rod's, by chance do you also sell them or can someone send you the rod blanks that they would like used? 

If not can you tell me how far you had to drill into the antlers to set the blanks into them?

2/9/22 @ 2:07 PM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

Very cool.

2/9/22 @ 9:38 AM
logger's hooked up
User since 3/1/11

Couple whitetail antler handle jig poles. I make one or two a year. "Depends if I can get my hands on the right size antler" And have given them to Kids I know for Xmas.

Homemade Ice Fishing Stuff photo by logger's hooked up
2/9/22 @ 9:26 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

Polski those look WAY lighter than the ones I make out of PVC pipe!  By the time I have six rods in my rod bag with six pieces of PVC pipe it gets quite heavy!  But the good thing about the pvc ones is I can drop that rod bag from a 10 story building and they'll probably survive :-) 

2/8/22 @ 8:14 PM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

My wife sewed this for me. Slips over a five gallon bucket. Holds six rods with two pockets for lure boxes. Rod butt fits in a loop at the bottom and is secured at the top with a Velcro strap. 

Homemade Ice Fishing Stuff photo by Fishrun
2/7/22 @ 6:51 PM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

thats a pretty good idea Polski

2/7/22 @ 2:50 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

I know they sell a lot of ice rod protection like the fllexable nylon tubes, rod bags and even hard cases.

I just want to keep them from getting tangled up in my sled when I'm pulling it behind the 4 wheeler. Well this foam pipe insulation works perfect. It's really cheap, just cut it to whatever rod length you need. I used the 3/4" size and it worked good.

Homemade Ice Fishing Stuff photo by Polski
Displaying 1 to 15 of 470 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE