LOGIN
Lake-Link

Homemade Ice Fishing Stuff

11/16/11 @ 11:55 PM
ORIGINAL POST
backwoods43
backwoods43
USER SINCE 3/14/10
I know there are topics for homemade tip ups, automatic fishermans, etc. I just thought we could wrap it all up in one by showing ANYTHING homemade that could save anyone money or make someones ice fishing trip easier.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 449 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

2/16/21 @ 10:40 AM
Zoomer
USER SINCE 11/19/03

Here are a couple of home-made tipups I bought used 25-30 years ago.  I've actually been getting into ice fishing the past few years and these have worked pretty well for northerns and bass so far.  One is made from wood and the other from a thick piece of plastic.  They both fold up nicely for transport.  Looks like both were made by the same handy individual.

2/11/21 @ 3:55 PM
Bullhead Bob
USER SINCE 1/3/21

My version of a tip down. Made with 5’ of 1” pvc...two elbows...one T...one 30” piece of lath...plastic ice reel...3” long, 1/4” carriage bolt...1/4” wingnut...one small cup hook squeezed shut for the end guide. Cost me just under ten bucks per unit. I glued up all of the pvc joints except for the upright so it can detach from the base. Not very compact, but works well. Obviously you have to handline the fish.

2/11/21 @ 9:13 AM
maddogg11
USER SINCE 12/9/12

Polski this is probably the set up you remember. I use this with my dad many years ago. We called it a power line. Copy and paste:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=_0clYN3DJZa3tQbw24zADw&q=powerline+fishing+setup&oq=rubber+band+power+line&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgcIABBHELADMgcIABBHELADMgcIABBHELADMgcIABBHELADMgcIABBHELADMgcIABBHELADMgcIABBHELADMgcIABBHELADUABYAGCrgAFoAXACeACAAZ8BiAGfAZIBAzAuMZgBAKoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQjAAQE&sclient=psy-ab#kpvalbx=_EkglYJDhOoiqtQbslbXoCg15

2/10/21 @ 10:32 AM
crobar
USER SINCE 6/19/01

Ya   Wskiph we called our fishin poles Mendota rigs used a heavy lead sinker to just balance the cork to be almost under the water. Any lite bites made the cork bearly move....then you would start hand lining em up from deep depths...line would always end up frozen an tangled.  Meal of Perch made it worth it otherwise it was a long day

2/9/21 @ 10:30 PM
wskiph
wskiph
MEMBER SINCE 9/3/11

I used large cork for perch on Lake Geneva and Mendota ..trout on Big Green ..60's and early 70 s

2/9/21 @ 8:20 PM
crobar
USER SINCE 6/19/01

Ya Clueless...they were used for Lakers on Big Green...but if you were a Percher....

2/9/21 @ 7:52 PM
clueless
USER SINCE 10/24/04

Crowbar, wasn’t the big cork for bobbing for lake trout. I remember my dad had some. Probably used on Big Green.

2/9/21 @ 5:30 PM
crobar
USER SINCE 6/19/01

Ya Polski  one application was used at Jones Island on trolley lines...good memory

2/9/21 @ 5:23 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER SINCE 5/11/03

Crobar, was the bell used on the rubber band set lines that were used off piers in Lake Michigan for perch? Seem to remember fishing with my Dad that way and him using one of those bells.

Never really understood how that rubber band set line worked but obviously it did.

2/9/21 @ 5:00 PM
crobar
USER SINCE 6/19/01

Both items from late 50’s-60’s the cork ice fishing other gizmo has a bell inside ,for summer. Both used on hand lines dollar bill just for reference on size. Haven’t used them since that era....but thats all we had....an exciting when we got a bite...hint cork used in deep water...any guesses?  An. Yes I know the answer

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 449 POSTS
Advertise here
Minn Kota Ultra: Proven in the real world. Year after year. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.