LOGIN
Lake-Link

Homemade Ice Fishing Stuff

11/17/11 @ 12:55 AM
ORIGNAL POST
backwoods43
backwoods43
User since 3/14/10
I know there are topics for homemade tip ups, automatic fishermans, etc. I just thought we could wrap it all up in one by showing ANYTHING homemade that could save anyone money or make someones ice fishing trip easier.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 399 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/3/19 @ 12:45 AM
Pannie_chaser
Pannie_chaser
User since 2/25/17
Made some homemade tips downs! They work awesome! 

2/21/19 @ 4:36 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Doing some more mods today built a wind break for my smitty set up. Yes this sled used to have an old otter pop over on it. Thing was just to bulky for dragging. The canvas came off and old frabill speed shak. My brother gave it to me years ago. When i got it the mice had a ready done a number on it. Managed a couple good size pieces off it though. My goal is to keep it as light as possible.

2/19/19 @ 12:05 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Made this little cooler out of bigger cooler and scrap foam. Fits perfect under seat for putting whitefish in to keep from freezing. Was told if the freeze they get mushy. Also rivited rod holder to bucket that store tackle in. Yah that one scoop in third pic is custom as well. Zip tied to a 3 foot stick. No bending down for this guy.

2/17/19 @ 8:27 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

It definitely is better than dragging the roto molded sled by itself but even with CC skis getting the weight back farther is noticeable, especially when the snow is deeper. If you’re traveling light to begin with it might not be that big of a deal but if you start loading them up you want the weight back.  My first sled like this (I’ve built half a dozen or so) had everything centered. It helped but when I really loaded the thing up it was a bear. Moved the risers back as far as they could go, loaded it up the same, and it was easier to pull. 

2/16/19 @ 10:11 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Ulbian made it in about an hour this a.m. before leaving to go fishing. Lots that I can improve on, but worked pretty good on short notice. Pulled it close to 3/4 of a mile today. Used X-country skis, figured centered is better for the camber of the skis. Thanks for the input.

2/16/19 @ 9:43 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

grizzwald...

Two things you can do to improve the efficiency of these sleds.  

1) Move the rear risers back as far as you can on the skis. You want to get the weight as far back as possible. This creates more lift on the front of the skis than if the weight is centered in the middle. 

2) Attach your rope to the front riser and run it through holes drilled in the tips of the skis. Your pulling force will go directly to the home built sled at a lower point and by running the rope through the ski tips it will create a little extra lift to the entire unit.  

The key component in both points above is maximizing the lift you have on the front of the skis. 

There's actually a third thing to add but it's hard to tell from the pictures how yours is set up.  Lengthen the tow rope. That will make it easier to pull than having a short rope will.  Plus, when you are going down banks or hills you can lead your sled as it slides past you. The alternative is having it run up your ankles.  

2/16/19 @ 8:36 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Poppster I was surprised at how easy it pulled throw foot+ of snow. Barely sunk 3 inches. Fun build.

2/16/19 @ 6:33 PM
Poppster
Poppster
User since 2/15/19

Just got off the ice and used mine to haul about 75lbs of stuff with my smitty...  Mine is identical to yours btw.  Works like a dream.

2/16/19 @ 6:21 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Kickin it old school today!

2/16/19 @ 4:40 PM
Poppster
Poppster
User since 2/15/19

Just got off the ice and used mine to haul about 75lbs of stuff with my smitty...  Mine is identical to yours btw.  Works like a dream.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 399 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.