SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Hard sided ice rod case

11/10/15 @ 6:43 PM
INITIAL POST
Fishinguy76
User since 12/24/13
Hey Folks, Anyone got any opinions on these? I did some research and I was thinking about using a Plano 36" all weather rifle case. The otter looks huge, and the other hard sides don't look tough. Would love anyone's opinion on anything to do with this subject. Thanks,
Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
1/27/20 @ 1:24 PM
Chris Dewolfe
PRO MEMBER User since 1/4/17

Pluckable foam gun case works great. Rods won't move at all and it is cheaper than a lot of the hard sided ice combo cases. 

12/27/19 @ 1:42 PM
GillHooker
User since 2/19/13

Plano 3500 series or Flambeau 3003 Tuff Tainers

12/27/19 @ 10:53 AM
gater
User since 11/25/07

Thanks waterwolves, it looks great. Which tackle box's  fit in the slots?

12/26/19 @ 9:00 PM
waterwolves
waterwolves
User since 6/15/01

Gator, I have the same case, I can fit 6 rods, plus all my tackle.

12/26/19 @ 5:38 PM
voldie
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/11

I had the same problem and contacted Eagle Claw and got 2 more of the foam inserts. That allowed me to stagger them and left plenty of space yet for some tackle cases.

12/26/19 @ 3:56 PM
gater
User since 11/25/07

I just got the eagle claw ice rod case. I'm having a hard time getting 6 combos to fit comfortably.  Does  anyone have any tips on getting 6 combos to fit?

2/3/16 @ 12:14 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I had some extra plano gun cases in the basement. Started using one of them and love it. Didn't have to buy something special for ice fishing, had it all along haha! Much better than those zippered bag type cases.
1/30/16 @ 2:22 PM
DingerBoy8292
User since 1/30/16
I went with the Plano 36" all weather tactical case and absolutely love it!
1/16/16 @ 4:38 AM
Fishinguy76
User since 12/24/13
So my buddy got me a Gander Mountain hard sided black aluminum case as a gift. Not a bad case, fits the rods pretty well. I have several inline Black Betty reels and these are almost too thick for the case. I had todo some hole punching, etc. to make them fit. Not a bad case considering what I paid, but not Amazing either.
12/1/15 @ 8:09 PM
jason21nl
User since 8/12/07
I bought that same case at Fleet Farm. For $30 bucks its actually really nice! I'd recommend it for those looking for a "cheap" hard case.
12/1/15 @ 4:59 PM
DadsGone
User since 6/4/02
Hi All: I just got a Ice Rod Holder Hard Case that Fleet Farm had on sale for about $30.00 it's made by Eagle Claw and holds SIX Rods very nice and has adjustable foam holders that will allow you to hold small tackle boxes. I like it and the price was right. Smile Smile Smile
11/30/15 @ 10:22 AM
walleye fisherman
User since 2/7/10
The case from ice fishing innovations is top notch and can't be beat. It is quite heavy and only holds 6 rods, but if you are driving a vehicle out it doesn't matter. It does cost $180 I think, but it holds some tackle and can be run over by a four-wheeler and protect your rods. If you care about your rods and want the best, this is what I would recommend. I've acquired 4 of them over the last few years. Here is a link for anybody interested: http://shop.icefishinginnovations.com/Deluxe-Ice-Advantage-Rod-Case-793573931061.htm
11/25/15 @ 2:35 PM
crappieguy
User since 2/11/02
I have been looking at the plano cases, I don't want a huge case like the Otter or the $100 cost. http://www.planostoragesolutions.com/products/146-36-storage-case-with-pillarlock-protection.aspx http://www.planostoragesolutions.com/products/147-38-storage-case-with-aluminum-valance.aspx http://www.planostoragesolutions.com/products/135-36-all-weather-storage-case.aspx
11/21/15 @ 8:40 AM
Fishinguy76
User since 12/24/13
Folks, I haven't made my mind up yet, I'm going to the Milwaukee show, I hope to see some choice there. Kick flip, I had the st croix Rod case, lasted about 1.5 seasons for me. I am retiring it now, this corner is cracked and the strap came unsown, zipper pull on side pocket broke. I never broke anything with it but the tips were always getting tangled. I also thought it did a horrible job of protecting the st croix spring bobbers on my rods (I have two st croix rods and will never buy anything but now). Granted the spring bobbers are only 15-20 bucks but I'd rather not buy those 2-3 times a season if I don't need to. Just my frugality coming out some. Love all the help folks. Fishinguy76 Spelling by Apple
11/18/15 @ 12:56 PM
wiel0059
User since 6/20/14
You may have already landed on a case. Let us know how you like it if you did! But, just chiming in with another one because I hadn't seen it mentioned. I really like the Striker Ice Transporter case. It fits an awesome need for me. I also have a big, bulky rod case for when I take the shack out (that holds like 12 rods). When I do this, I use the Transporter bag for my camera, extra gloves, all my tackle, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. But, for those days when I want to go light or don't need to take the shack like at early / late ice or when I trek into some small back-woods lakes all I take is the Striker Ice Bag. I throw 4 or 5 rods in it, all the stuff mentioned above, and then throw it on my back. Its amazing for this. Hard rod tubes on the bottom so breaking isn't even a concern to me. Again, if you're always carrying out 15 rods, probably not for you. But, if you normally carry 4 or 5, or even do sometimes and need to go light, it really is perfect. Put it this way, if I lost it, I'd replace it right away.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE