SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Good tipup lakes

12/5/14 @ 10:53 PM
NukeDaWhales
NukeDaWhales
User since 12/1/10
Shawano or some of the lakes near Waupaca or Amherst are decent for pike. I do hear of a few large pike being plucked out of Poygan once in a while. Best bet is put a shiner about 2 - 4 feet off bottom depending on depth.( Sometimes right under ice if really shallow- the pike will come up quite a bit to hit a bait.) Make sure you are right against a weed edge and possibly a drop off near said weeds. 20lb plus braided tip up line with a leader that is 20 lbs or more. Wire or fluorocarbon works (I use 20lb floro because it works for walleyes too). Probably a number 8 treble. Be prepared to pull pike through the weeds because that's usually where they run back to when they hit. Always works for me on most lakes anyways. Problem is finding decent sized pike, but sometimes you get one over 30 inches. Just have to put in the time on the ice. Want anything more specific feel free to PM me. Im from Wis Rapids and grew up setting tip ups for pike in central Wisconsin. Not too familiar with Oshkosh/ Winnebago area but pike are easy- weed edges- weed edges and more weed edges.
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
12/7/14 @ 10:18 PM
NukeDaWhales
NukeDaWhales
User since 12/1/10
You can get #20 reels of Fluoro for $6 at fleet farm and probably gander mountain. I think they are either 100 or 200 yd spools. FYI
12/7/14 @ 1:56 PM
walleye fisherman
User since 2/7/10
I agree, I like mono better than steel for leaders, and fluorocarbon is too expensive for me. Tipups are a great way to get some fish on the table, because pike are often found near panfish. Pop two in while your jigging for some gills and you might be able to come home with a few more fish!
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE