MORE
Ice Fishing

Go to lure

11/26/19 @ 11:05 AM
INITIAL POST
Jrs.fishing
Jrs.fishing
User since 6/11/19

In this page we talk about what are your go to lures favorite colors favorite sized jig /spoon go to line and go to set up 

I will go first since I am the first one my favorite spoon is a swedish pimple in hammer gold ,my favorite goto jig size is a 4mm jig in glow perch, my goto line is Berkley hi vis orange, my go to rod and reel is a 13 fishing white noise in light action now it is your turn 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
2/8/20 @ 10:05 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

For pannies a black rocker with a white dot. A gold/ brass back is a MUST!   I won’t use one with a silver back. tip it with spikes or a smashed waxie.      I make my own and have tried all color combos but without a doubt black USUALLY outperforms all.   CARPIO 

2/8/20 @ 12:57 AM
CrystalLakeMonster
CrystalLakeMonster
User since 11/22/10

The smallest lindy frostee spoon with the treble hook.  Tipped with 5 or 6 spikes.  Spikes skins are much tougher than waxies and if you loose a spike or two and still have fish down there, you can drop it down no problem.  Waxies come off the hook to often.  I've caught just about everything off the frostee spoon even 3'' bluegies.

2/7/20 @ 4:49 PM
Stanley88
User since 1/20/17

Really like vmc jigs with soft plastics. Nice review on jigs on thearrownorth.com

1/6/20 @ 2:07 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

For clear water, the smallest Forage Minnow they make with 2-3 spikes on each point of the treble.  For stained water, second smallest Forage Minnow with a rattle and bright color and also with some spikes.  I like the flash in clear water and the noise in the stained water.  

1/4/20 @ 9:06 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Beaded spoon.

1/4/20 @ 1:55 PM
Alternative Reefer
User since 5/4/18

This year it has been a shad colored z-viber.  Got a 9 3/4" gill and a 14" perch and a pretty nice walleye on it this year.  Also a small chartrouse vmc jig with a black jeffrey or radioactive pickle paralizer plastic has caught almost every fish I have caught this winter.   But what turned em on for me was tipping them with a single red spike soaked in Mike's UV anise scent.   

Most used rod has been a mojo ice 36" light action for the z-viber and heavier baits.   A TUCR Bullwhip 30" and a TUCR Presision Noodle 32"(xmas present) will be my main jig poles with the Bullwhip being my deadstick.   The Mojo and Bullwhip has a 13 descent reel($25 on sale at fleet farm) and the Noodle has a 13 Ghost I think(the white one).   I actually like the descent for a low cost reel.   I have gone to switching to all inline reels.  Have gotten to really like them. Six pound mono test on all with a real long 3 pound flouro leader.  

Last year was so bad for me in the first ice fishing adventure of this year I caught more fish than the entire season last year......lol.  So I am repeating nothing from that year. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq-ouYB_08s&t=5s

12/10/19 @ 11:46 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I tip my spoon with spikes.  I've switched almost completely to spikes for live bait in the last year.  They hold on the hook much better with the "grabbers".  I can put three spikes on a spoon and catch multiple fish without re-baiting.  

12/10/19 @ 7:25 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I do pretty much 100% of the time I use spoons. Either waxies or a minnow head, occasionally a full minnow. 

12/10/19 @ 12:15 AM
SmackinBass
SmackinBass
User since 8/24/12

Do you guys tip your spoons with anything?

11/26/19 @ 3:02 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Fluoro

I tried some new line this year, the package says made in Japan and the UPC code says made in China so I'm not really sure where it came from. I was having a hard time tying my knots, thought my eyesight might be getting bad but I'm thinking it is just that translucent. After 2 outings I'm impressed so far, we'll see if it holds up until my mid-season re-spooling. Worth a look if you guys want to save a few bucks. 

Coated fluoro

I also started using this stuff last year for my heavier set-ups. I don't fish my heavy set ups enough to be able to compare it to the other coated lines out there though. 

11/26/19 @ 2:49 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I keep three main rods ready for jigging purposes.  One is my spoon rod and i typically have a gold and orange slender spoon on 4 pound micro ice.  I then have two noodle rods for jigging, both with 3 pound micro ice.  One will also have a tungsten tubby jig with a b-y baits plastic, usually the mayfly.  My favorite color is a yellow jig with orange plastic, but sometimes go pink and white or red and white.  That is usually the first thing I try when I'm out there.  The other noodle rod has a jig i tip with waxies or spikes, usually a firetiger pattern tungsten tubby.  I fish almost strictly for perch and crappie. 

11/26/19 @ 1:50 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Lure is by far a UL Rippin Rap in UV Pink. It's my first down a hole for almost everything except Bluegill or Trout. 

My rod is a 36in Light with an ultra fast tip by Kraemer Customs in West Bend WI.

My line, since I'm almost always outside is Suffix Ice Magic in 3lb test. 

This is my go to set up for 90% of my fishing. Since I fish mostly Walleye, Perch. 

I will switch to a 33in Power Noodle by Kraemer Customs if I'm chasing panfish. Then it's a white tungsten jig with pink plastic with 2lb Ice Magic. 

11/26/19 @ 1:35 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I agree on the gold. I have found that it works under some of the toughest conditions.  But when they are really biting, its no better or even not as good as some other colors.  

I've found without a doubt that the smallest spoons are the best panfish search lures, and have caught 20 inch bass and 30 to 37 inch pike on them. Which is why I usually use 4lb floro on my search lure. Can always downsize if needed. I carry 7 rigged rods ready to go

11/26/19 @ 11:57 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Good topic!

I keep three main combos set up with my "go-to" lures. Usually my one is a purple/striped spoon but this year it is the 19mm k-rip in wonderbread from Kenders Outdoors. One with a bright neon polka dot 5mm jig, pink/black/white has been the go-to last season and so far this year. And the last is a more natural set-up with my go-to being a 4mm purple metallic tungsten jig. I strictly use Kenders Outdoors for my tungsten. 

All my rods are power noodles from various custom companies with variations in their action/backbone based on what I rig them with.

I run all inline reels except on my iFishpro with my go-to being the original blackbetty, no drag just me and the fish. I fall back on the freefall or ghost in deeper water. I personally don't notice a difference between the freefall and ghost so either one works for me. 

Full disclaimer - i just added a gold tungsten to my collection, not sure how i didn't have one but that might replace the purple metallic as my more natural presentation. After all these years people still swear by gold. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE