LOGIN
Lake-Link

Gas Augers vs Propane Augers

12/16/14 @ 7:00 PM
ORIGNAL POST
dell lake
dell lake
User since 1/17/12
I am looking at buying a new ice auger possibly a Jiffy and was wondering what your guys thoughts are on propane vs gas. I am leaning more towards propane just because of the fact that they are easier to store during the offseason and you don't have to worry about gas getting on your hands. Just wondering if you have any recommendations? Thanks!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 21 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/30/14 @ 12:45 PM
ESOX68
ESOX68
User since 2/21/06
I've had my Jiffy Legend for 24 years now. Last year it started to dog out a bit when drilling holes. I brought it in and had the carb clean and it runs like a Jiffy again. I love it and probably will have it the rest of my life. Why people on here claim to have multiple augers is beyond me.

12/29/14 @ 8:41 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
With so many different types of augers out there it's great for the consumer and we'll have these kinds of discussions. One guy loves an auger that another guy says is junk. I had a 2nd generation jiffy propane auger and it gave me headaches. A close friend loves his. Oh well. Last year I used an ION quite a bit and it is a neat unit. The first few trips this year I was using an eskimo HC40 and it was great and I wouldn't hesitate getting one of my own. Ultimately though, there are many options out there to choose from and that's a great thing. If you can afford to get a nils that's a purchase you won't regret. If you are looking at buying a power auger hold off, save the extra money and get a nils. If you've used one you understand that they live up to the hype.

12/29/14 @ 8:21 PM
adam k
User since 12/15/10
I have had minor problems with my gas jiffy out of the box but nothing major. Mainly normal small engine problems. Runs great to this day. I have a friend, well his first propane got sent back to jiffy and his second is going to miss this season of fishing due to fuel line leaks. Im guessing my gas will be drilling the holes this year.

12/28/14 @ 8:57 AM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09
I have had my jiffy white lightning 2 horse for about 15 years now, 2 stroke 8 inch. and to be honest the only time I smelled gas was last year when a elbow on the carb broke. runs every time. I have used propane augers and sorry guys I aint impressed. I tried a 10 inch strikemaster last year for a day and did not like it. to hard to hold on to. also in my life I never had to fill a gas tank while on the ice. what does everyone drill like 200 holes while ice fishing. We got dad a jiffy way back in the 70s for christmas one year and thats been around since(my brother has it now) I always check out augers when I go to a store. they all seem cheaply built. there aint nothing like a good old well built auger. mine gets tossed around into the truck or on the 4 wheeler and goes all the time. I been fishing out of a portable shack for quite a few years now so no issue with exhaust for me. If you need a new auger and want a propane thats your choice. I am 53 now and I don't anticipate having to lay down 4 to 5 hundred on a new auger. just keep on top of things and a auger should last a long time.

12/27/14 @ 10:00 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
MEMBER since 2/12/02
I have had my jiffy propane for a couple years now. I was up to Sheboygan Falls last winter and swung in to Jiffy to have them check my regulator( some were recalled) They swapped it out free of charge and then adjusted the carb as I had thought it was not running like it did new. Guy said that after a year of running them (Break IN) most needed to be adjusted to operate at peak efficency. Mine had run okay but after that tweak it has been flawless. I often hear people talk about problems in the cold...... I have had none. But, I never try and run every ounce of fuel out of it. I switch them out at around half a tank and then use it in my lantern. I have owned Strike Masters and Gas Jiffys.........they all have their share of issues. Personally, I like not dealing with gas or fuel when I am fishing. That alone outweighs any down side.. IMHO

On a side note: my buddies often use my auger rather than smell like fuel from using their own.

12/27/14 @ 9:16 PM
FALLSWALLEYEGUY
FALLSWALLEYEGUY
User since 1/1/10
I do not personally own a propane auger but know and fish with three separate guys that do. Each one starts out awesome, like everyone says, no gas, no smell, its great! BUT every single one of them now struggles to idle and start without applying throttle. Not to mention that propane freezes in extremely cold temps. While you could disconnect and keep warm that's a PITA if you ask me. The addition of the ripper blades seems to clog up and severely affect cutting ability. (My extreme cold experiences are a few trips of -20 or below.) After seeing this and becoming very frustrated on the ice, I bought the strikemaster honda lite. Much lighter, faster and more reliable (in my experiences) than the propane model augers.

12/26/14 @ 6:28 PM
wet-net
User since 1/8/03
RE POST Jiffy is sending me a new powerhead today should have it on Monday. Glad that Jiffy stands behind their stuff.

12/26/14 @ 11:32 AM
Lippy05
User since 1/1/07
I've had a Pro 4 for a couple winters now and I love it. I highly recommend them. Here are some pros and cons:

Pros:
- Very easy to start

- 1 propane tank will last nearly all winter

- Cuts fast

- No worrying about mixing / spilling gas

Cons:
- Very heavy, nearly 50 lbs

- The throttle is kind of weak, it feels like they could have put a more heavy duty throttle on it. I was using it in -25F at LoTW last year and the throttle would stick(freeze?) so when I'd start it, it would be wide open. This has been my only real concern so far. After bringing it inside and thawing out over night, I had no further problems.

All and all, switching to propane has worked out great for me.

12/24/14 @ 3:43 PM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
User since 8/11/10
wet net, Same thing happened to me last yr. but it was only 1 trip and went back,and was dumb enough to get another 1! that too went back. And no bashing from this guy because I have multiple. Gen.2 Pro4, SM Laser mag and a Nils.

3/31/15 @ 8:15 AM
wet-net
User since 1/8/03
I have a Jiffy Pro 4 Lite propane I got it Dec 19 2013. The auger has been good up tell last week. I took it back to the place I got it from they are a Jiffy service center. The service tech could not get it going. Jiffy sent out a new carb the new carb was put on and the auger still wont run. I will see what Jiffy will do next and post it. Starting to regret my purchased .

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 21 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.