MORE
Ice Fishing

Garmin Panoptix

7/14/20 @ 1:33 PM
INITIAL POST
icefitchin
icefitchin
User since 12/13/03

I'm really interested in pulling the trigger on the Garmin Panoptix ice bundle this winter. Im looking to get some feedback from those that have used them. Does anyone have any feedback? I think it could really cut down on time searching for schools of fish.

I often fish Mendota. I'm curious how this unit does in deeper water?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
10/22/20 @ 3:46 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Garmin also raised the price of the ice bundles also, for 9" model it's 2800 online.

The 200 rebate from last winter also is gone!

10/21/20 @ 6:14 PM
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05

I am just not sure on all of this. Seems still to be in the "early adopter" phase where it's super expensive among other things. I had no idea until reading an article recently that this thing weighed 25 pounds!? We are in a rampant transition from gas augers that weight 28 to 35 pounds down to Electric Augers that are in the low 20 pound or less range....but now we are adding back in a $2500 brick that weighs 25 pounds. 

Now, I am a bit curious to try out Lowrance's live site, because I have an HDS7 Carbon and am invested into that ecosystem...so, no way I will abandon that to drop two grand or more on the Garmin. Even the Lowrance would still cost another $1000 or more though...you need the transducer, some adapter and then configure a pole or whatever.

Has anyone tried Lowrance Live Site yet?

8/4/20 @ 1:18 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I have seen all the marketing videos, and the videos of guys using them, and they look super impressive.  I got to use one last winter, and I was not as impressed.  However, I think the first time I used Side Imaging, I was not as impressed either, but I use it all the time now.  I think it may take some seat time to feel good about it.  I used it for 8 hours.  With time, I think it could be sweet.  Ok but lets talk about how big and HEAVY it is.  Are you a mobile fisherman?  I like to think I am.  Wow, trying get that transducer pole into the cab of my Ranger was like putting in a 3rd guy.  Was always very cautious, am I going to break this thing.  It was a beast to haul around.  Battery time was unimpressive.

8/3/20 @ 8:41 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

If you want information go to you tube. 3# crappie puts one out just about every week.

He shows the mount hardware, his pole setup. the unit settings. You have two ways to 

mount the scope. Some like on trolling motor (you aim scope with foot) and some like a pole mount (you aim with a handle) each has pros and cons.

I matched set up with side image, so always have three views, you will be surprised at how fish behave when the boat comes upon them.  The 9" locator is about $1050 and scope is 1499. the motor bracket is 75-100. A pole can be made from PVC and ram mounts, again you tube it.

8/1/20 @ 12:06 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I haven’t really looked into this but I saw a video of a guy fishing with the livescope and that looks pretty neat. If I was starting from scratch what would I need to get this set up? Is this just an add on or can I buy a livescope locator? Then if I wanted a trolling motor with spot lock how does that all work?  I currently have a normal foot controlled trolling motor and a no frills lowrance locator that doesn’t have gps or anything and I would like to upgrade. I know certain trolling motors are only compatible with certain locators. I think Garmin works with Minnkota and Lowrance works with MotorGuide but not a 100% on all the technicals. 

Realized after I posted I was on the “ice fishing” thread. I would be looking to set this up on the boat. As for ice fishing I’m content with my Vexilar. 

7/23/20 @ 8:20 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

If you buy ice fishing bundle the pole comes with.

If you buy livescope for summer it does not. This unit will have a locator mount for your boat. The scope box will need to find a spot and power as well. To use in winter you need to get a battery and make pole and a carrier to mount a Livescope box as well as the  locator. Google provides all answers.

7/23/20 @ 4:35 PM
icefitchin
icefitchin
User since 12/13/03

ZM,

You’re saying the transducer pole I see in all these YouTube video isn’t even included in the $1600 ice bundle??

7/22/20 @ 7:54 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

Icsfitchin,

That actually doesn’t come with the unit. It is an additional $90. I made that to come apart and everything fits inside the backpack.

7/22/20 @ 5:39 PM
icefitchin
icefitchin
User since 12/13/03

ZM,

Out of curiosity, how is that any different than what comes with the unit?

7/20/20 @ 7:13 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

I put together this portable setup for my buddy. It is incredible what you can see with these units.

7/19/20 @ 9:07 PM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13

Have had one for a couple seasons now. It's not as easy to use to locate fish with as advertised and shown by some guys on youtube. Can it be done, sure..... but it's a big heavy unit dragging with a 3' stick. I can't say that i've discovered any mother lodes with it. I do try though and like anything takes practice to use, settings, and get a system down. I really like to set up and jig with it though in down view. Your cone is more like 20' instead of 2' with regular ducr. Can see them coming for a long ways & is a fun/more interactive screen to jig em with. I Like mine, intend to also use on the boat and add livescope to it, but works fine the way it is. I think overrated as a fish finding tool in my opinion. 

7/14/20 @ 3:43 PM
icefitchin
icefitchin
User since 12/13/03

Thanks Junkie.

I feel the technology has been out long enough, its probably safe to pull the trigger. Ive been saving since last ice season to get this unit. As you mentioned, I do a lot of basin fishing. I think it would be awesome to get to a lake and do a scan, then jump on them with my flasher. I don't plan on getting rid of my LX7. Id just like to add this to the arsenal. 

Thanks for the input.

7/14/20 @ 2:55 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Last thought (sorry, its been awhile since someone posted about ice fishing. Got me excited!) - it's pretty early yet for new products to be released. Vexilar just released their new version and I wouldn't be surprised if Garmin has something up their sleeve. Might drop the price of panoptix further if they do release a new product...

7/14/20 @ 2:54 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
I've had some limited experience with it, only use it with a few buddies that have them.

My first time using it was over cribs, my buddy was set up on a crib and I started punching holes in the area we knew another one was. I drilled a hole, he saw it on his livescope and told me which direction to go, next hole I was on it. Saved a ton of time. 

Second time I went fishing with him was on a typical basin crappie hole. He could scan around and see if there were fish in the area which was nice, but the crappie roam so much that the only way to stay on them was to punch a bunch of holes and jump around. If you've ever hole hopped with the livescope you know how much of a pain that is. 

I've heard more than one person say they wish they would have gotten the livescope instead of the panoptix, whether that's because they want the newest technology or what, I have no idea. 

Pretty remarkable how clear fish show up on the panoptix though. I'd love to get one just for scanning an area and then switch back to my flasher, but that's a hefty price for something I wouldn't use full time. Not sure what kind of a bite Mendota has, but if the fish tend to stay local or you don't hole hop much, I would go for it.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE