LOGIN
Lake-Link

Frabill jiggler rod

12/30/14 @ 6:27 AM
ORIGNAL POST
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
User since 3/14/06
Anyone like these rods? I bought my nephew one for X-mas and he's having nothing but problems with it. Line keeps getting behind the spool on the reel.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/4/15 @ 6:26 AM
User since 3/14/06
Fished with it Sat. It is a POS , although I caught my first 10 keepers on it before I switched back to my rods. You need to keep the reel nut tightened down all the time. Only loosen to pull line out. Only use the reel handle to wind in the line when you are done with it. NEVER reel backwards. Over a period of time you will notice that you have less line out. The reel handle must get bumped and turned little by little when pulling in fish, rebaiting, hole hopping etc. It's too bad you can't lock the spool down so it can't turn either direction. I ended up palming the reel so the handle couldn't turn but I don't think a kid would be able to. Also, the spring is too short! Other than that I loved it! LOL!!

1/2/15 @ 6:16 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09
same here with the sh#t rods. local store had them on sale for $20, sorted through them to find the one that was not broke and worked right.

1/2/15 @ 7:49 AM
Duke M
User since 1/12/09
I bought a Jiggler when they first came out at GM. I noticed the blank had "steps" in it. It did not have a smooth taper from butt to tip. I gave it a test bend and it exploded. I found an employee and explained hat happened. He said no problem we'll send it back. I said I was still interested and he said find another one and bend it. As I looked through the display I saw another one with 8" busted off the tip. Hmmmm. I found a smooth one and it test bent just fine. I bought it, it was a 54", I wish they made a 60" ad it would balance better. I used it a few times and soon the drag would not work. When I diassembled the reel a small BB fell out. I reassembled the reel and it worked for a day or two. Then it failed again. This time when I disassembled the detent BB was missing entirely. I have managed to cobble it back together and use it as a loaner rod when taking someone out that doesn't own a long rod and I don't feel they have enough experience with the HT Stillfish reel to handle a large fish as you have to unlatch the handle and palm it when a large fish runs. I wish someone made a quality reel for this application but I'm not holding my breath

1/2/15 @ 7:20 AM
blackhawks
User since 12/28/03
grizwald, correct, the line runs through the blank. The rods I have use a HT reel that is specifically made for this application.

1/2/15 @ 6:19 AM
User since 3/14/06
Cheap flyreel

6/14/16 @ 6:37 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09
those other long rod that you guys have, does the line run through the blank? what type of reel do you use?

1/1/15 @ 10:23 AM
User since 3/14/06
I explained to my nephew that the rig is just for shallow water and reel is only for storing line. The last time he was out I wasn't with so I don't know what happened. I'm gonna re-rig it today and fish with it tomorrow myself. I've got a bunch of custom long rods made out of St. Croix blanks that a guy I know from the Madison area makes. It will be tough putting those down for a morning! I didn't buy my nephew one of those because they can be a b@*#h to rig. There's a tiny hole drilled about 6" up from the handle and the line goes in there and up through the blank. It can really suck trying to thread light line up through.

1/1/15 @ 8:56 AM
blackhawks
User since 12/28/03
I have quite a few long rods for shallow water jigging and all but one are made by fellow anglers. The one that isn't is a Frabill Jiggler and I really don't care for it as I have experienced the same problem with its crappy reel. Keep in mind, the Jiggler is not designed/built to be used like a traditional ice rod/reel...the reel is simply there to take in or let out line and not to reel in fish. Lower your presentation, catch a fish and lift it out of the hole. That being said, not one of Frabill's better products in my humble opinion.

12/31/14 @ 8:08 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09
doesn't anyone use these things?

12/30/14 @ 8:38 AM
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
I am with Griz, love the concept and it is great for shallow water. I have the 54" model ideal for hole hooping, but sucks for reeling in fish!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.