SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

fluorocarbon line

1/17/21 @ 9:25 AM
INITIAL POST
dibbles
PRO MEMBER User since 12/29/01

Looking to use fluorocarbon line for walleye and northern.  What kind would you recommend?

Thansk 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
1/22/21 @ 9:23 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I feel like I've tried many different kinds over the years and nothing stuck out as being better than another.  The only thing I would say is specific leader line usually has less memory so it will be straighter, vs having curled line.  Even so I can't say I had a noticeable difference.

Right now I'm running 20lb Sufix fluoro, just the regular stuff.  My kids are not the gentlest with tipups so I leave it on for everything, which I never did in the past.  Even on clear water lakes I'm getting walleyes no differently than if I had lighter line.  Have had pike cut it off, but it was rare.  I wouldn't run that if I was only walleye fishing though, I used to run lighter line for pike as well when it was just me bringing them in.  But now that I went a little heavier I am not as afraid of it.

1/21/21 @ 4:10 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Ice fishing, I use Pline flourocarbon, summer I use SunLine.  Don't aske me why, I've just had good luck with these lines in these situations.

1/19/21 @ 10:20 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I'm not sure what is best. I started using Stren hi-impact in 30 pound for the leader from my pound ball to my flasher/fly for Lake Michigan trolling. The stuff was expensive and my fish buddy did as well as me, without it. Mr. Seaguar's Carbon ice in 4#, Viciuos panfish Ice in 2#, Bass Pro shop in 6#, Vanish in 12, and Hi-Seas in 60, are all I've tried. The heavier lines like 30 and 60 need pliers to pull the knot's tag end tight because the stuff is way stiffer than regular mono. It also is more UV resistant and heavy enough to sink in water. For ice fishing limp mono tied direct is still my first choice. Poly lines used for fishing deeper are opaque so I tie on a flouro leader with an Albright knot. Buy a spool of flouro leader material and see if you think it makes a difference. I'm still not sure that it does.

1/19/21 @ 5:48 AM
dibbles
PRO MEMBER User since 12/29/01

thanks,  my main line is power pro ice at 10 lbs.  leader would be the same aft my swivel.

1/18/21 @ 10:28 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Are you talking tipup leader or mainline? A little more info, please. 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE