SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Flotation Ice Bibs

12/20/21 @ 12:04 PM
INITIAL POST
perchdr
PRO MEMBER User since 10/19/02

Is there a floatation ice bib out there where you will not sweat when simple walking around? this may be an impossibility, if it floats it does not breathe{Arctic Armour} and if it breathes it does not float [Columbia}. I own both and am not happy with the Arctic Armour no matter what I wear underneath. Jackets on both suits are fine.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 30 posts
12/23/21 @ 8:32 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Agreed like I said I have the hardwater suit and I still bring the safety essentials cell phone, safety spikes around my neck no matter how thick the ice is and a rope for me or to throw to a fellow fisherman to help. I've also seen guys have a whistle around there neck as well. And if you prefer a life jacket as well that's just that much safer. 

12/23/21 @ 2:54 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

chaw,

Don't get me wrong...I absolutely LOVE my Striker Climate suit. It does exactly what it was intended to do...keeps me dry, warm and comfortable. At the end of the day though, I am not willing to rely on solely that suit to make sure I go home to my wife and kids in the event that the unthinkable happens and I go in the drink again (I've gone through 3 times in my life, not counting the Polar Plunges I've done). For early ice, there are no more important things to have with you than a USCG-approved PFD, ice picks (MUST BE AROUND YOUR NECK OR EASILY ACCESSIBLE!), a whistle and a 25' length of 3/8" rope (even if you are alone, you can blow the whistle or yell and someone can help pull you out). Like I said, the way they pitch these suits, I think people can get the impression that they are life jackets. They are not. They are meant to buy you time to get to the edge of the ice and start getting out. 

34 degree water is COLD...it will take your breath away and make it very hard to breathe. If you ever have the chance to do a Polar Plunge and jump in freezing water in a controlled environment, I highly encourage you to do so. In addition to supporting a great cause, you will know what to expect should you ever go through the ice! It's a win-win.

12/22/21 @ 5:30 PM
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02

I own a pair of Striker Floating Ice Bibs. They work as advertised. I have not noticed they make me sweat. I have noticed they are heavy. Between my float suit, boots, and giant hooters it’s a real chore. 

I do like them and would recommend them. 

12/22/21 @ 3:17 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Might have been last year or the year before, Gillespie did a show and Josh (I think) jumped into open water in that suit (Striker I think) and floated just fine.

Me personally?  Nope.

12/22/21 @ 11:53 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Have any of you actually gone through the ice?  With one of these flotation suits or without?

Were you alone or were there others there to help you out?

12/22/21 @ 9:30 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

To answer the question....no.  Do not rely on just the jacket on a float suit.

When I've seen them tested, it is the bibs and the jacket together that provide flotation.

If you want to try it out?  Take it out in the early fall and jump into the lake....a shallow part of the lake and see how they work together, then see how/if they work when wearing just one.

12/22/21 @ 2:03 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

If you're worried about floating, don't rely on a jacket/bibs. Wear a PFD. My wife bought me an Onyx A/M (auto/manual) inflatable PFD. I don't even realize it's on and in the event I would go through, it will inflate and keep me afloat. The floating suits offer people a false sense of security in my opinion. If it isn't USCG-approved, don't rely solely on the suit. My $.02...

12/21/21 @ 11:52 PM
fishballs
User since 4/8/04

am i safe using just my clam floatation coat or do i need the bibs too?

12/21/21 @ 7:48 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I sweat a lot...I have found if I leave my side leg zippers open 6" at the top, I don't get hot and sweat. Hope this helps...

12/21/21 @ 10:52 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I have the Striker Predator bibs and jacket.  I love them.

I fish a lot in the shack and when I'm in there, jacket comes off.

Bibs, though.....they are amazing.  Very warm and they have many different zippers that allow for air to go through them and keep you cool when walking around.

Usually when I have the bibs on, I just have sweatpants on underneath.  No need for long johns or thermal underwear with those things.

12/21/21 @ 7:14 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Striker bibs zipper is ankle to hip they have a bunch of different models of bibs the warmer the bibs the more expensive. They have them everywhere I've looked since your in Waukesha Dick smiths carries them and at least there you could try them on. The hardwater bibs which I have are like $270 now and in March April there $200. If your buying online reeds, striker ice , pro fishing supply, marine General, up north sports all carry them in all models. But if you don't want striker they carry other brands. Cabelas might carry them as well. 

12/21/21 @ 6:49 AM
perchdr
PRO MEMBER User since 10/19/02

I am looking into getting a hip to ankle zipper put into the Arctic Armour bibs, but that may be too expensive, meaning buying new bibs would make the most sense. If anyone knows where I could go for an estimate let me know please. I live in the waukesha area.

12/20/21 @ 6:45 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Got the striker hard water suit and on a atv it's great but walking out of around I either put it in my sled and put it on once I get the spot which eliminates sweating but if it's cold enough I wear it out with all the vent zippers open. It beats the old walls blizzard proof suit I use to wear.

12/20/21 @ 4:15 PM
ALCustom160
User since 10/26/21

I normally have the side zippers open from the top almost down to my knee when I'm walking around. It's the best option I've found. (striker predator bibs)

Displaying 16 to 30 of 30 posts

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE