MORE
Ice Fishing

First timer ice fishing. Advice/info ??

11/13/19 @ 2:05 PM
INITIAL POST
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

Going to LOTW on Minnesota side in late January. I’ve never gone ice fishing before. Father in law is loaning me a couple rods etc but I was going to purchase one also. What (cheaper) jigging setup would you recommend for walleye/sauger-maybe perch? Any ideas on a few jigs/spoons/lures in general (colors). I just am hoping to maybe get a few extra (bragging rights lol) fish. 

Staying at a resort-fish houses etc. Always wanted to do this type of trip and thankfully my friend (who rarely fishes at all-I only fish Muskie/bass normally) and I are able to do. Just don’t want to spend a bunch on extras that I may never really use again but want to be prepared also if that makes sense? 

Thank you for any and all input. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
11/15/19 @ 1:18 PM
JEYESLAYER
JEYESLAYER
User since 2/8/06

1/4 oz pink glow stop sign

3/16 oz lindy rattling flyer spoon Red Glow

pink/white glow treble hook with glow pink glow beads as a dead stick rod with a fathead

spray baits with baitmate walleye spray often

fish 6" to 12" off bottom 

you'll catch em! have fun!

11/14/19 @ 4:27 PM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

They do rent vexilars so we set that up. 

I am prepared for the cold possibilities but thank you for that as well/and any future reader. I have the clothing already (I sometimes work in the frozen tundra lol) and already also have the truck plug-in. 

I’m feeling way more confident and comfortable/excited. Thanks again for feedback. 

11/14/19 @ 4:22 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I was at LOTW over New Years once and the actual temperature was -35.... that's without wind chill so yes be prepared. My truck plugs in but the others were starting their's 3 or 4 times a night to stop them from freezing up.

Wasn't enough ice yet for the big vans at Rocky's so we were going in and out in the trailers pulls by Suzuki's.

Gold and Glow Red have always been good colors for us but haven't been back in many years.

11/14/19 @ 3:34 PM
CrystalLakeMonster
CrystalLakeMonster
User since 11/22/10

Bring really warm clothes.  Coat, bibs, gloves and especially boots.  Your probably gonna spend most of your time in a heated shack.  Those things can get HOT.  But you don't want to get stuck out there unprepared. 

11/14/19 @ 10:12 AM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Ken Mar Ke does rent them if I’m remembering correctly. I’d reserve them now, because a lot of folks like yourself don’t have the gear and just rent them to see if they want to put down the cash for their own. 

11/14/19 @ 9:22 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Regarding the flasher, definitely inquire about rentals from the resort. But honestly, if they don't, you would be wise to get one yourself. It makes a huge difference. Fishing without it is MUCH more difficult. Don't have to get top of the line, don't even need to buy new (plenty available on craigslist), but if this is going to be your first ice fishing trip, you might as well set yourself up for success. And again, if you enjoy it, you're on your way to being fully outfitted. 

11/14/19 @ 9:10 AM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

Ken Mar Ke Resort is where we are staying 

11/14/19 @ 9:01 AM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

For bobbers, I would go a 6 inches to a foot. If you have a few guys have them all set up different depths to see what the fish want. If you don't mind, what resort are you using?

11/14/19 @ 8:42 AM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

Thank you guys for the info. Greatly appreciated. We will have fun even if there isn’t much going on “catching” fish.  The young guys (my son and my friends son in law low 20 year olds) are always entertaining and there will be good natured ribbing(and probably a little drinking lol) going on. 

Another question for the dead sticking presentation. Do you usually set that at just off bottom or try to set it at different depths? 

I was already wondering about the flashers. I will check with resort for options if the offer any. Otherwise kind of purely guess work. I’ve watched some videos for some extra ideas etc. 

Thanks again. 

11/14/19 @ 8:04 AM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Get a couple light to medium light rods like and spool them with 4-6lb test. Cabelas, Clam, Frabill, HT, and 13 fishing all make decent combos for $50.00 and under.

Get some spoons like Lindy Rattlin' Flyers, Slender Spoons, Northland Buckshot types 1/8th- 1/4 is fine. Colors would be Gold, Red, Glow Red, Perch, Pink, and Wonderbread. Wally Talkers and Perch Talkers from Lindy were really hot in March last year. Plain hooks with a minnow under Ice Buster bobbers work really well. Rippin' Raps are always a good bait to call fish in, and if they're aggressive it's nice not to have to bait up after every fish.  Stop at a bait shop in Baudette and they'll help you with some local favorites like the Stop Sign, The Charmer stuff like that. If the resort supplies bait it'll be fatheads so you should be okay there. 

Another thing you'll want to look into is if the resort rents flashers of some sort. You'll most likely be in over 20ft of water and those fish will use the entire water column and without electronics you will never see those fish. You could look to see if your boat unit can be converted to an ice unit. 

11/13/19 @ 11:29 PM
Jiggin_It
User since 1/23/04

Second on the rainbow buckshot rattle. They sell glass eye jigs at the tackle shops up there that I've always had good luck with too. Usually pink. Also, make sure to have a dead stick setup with a plain hook, with a fathead or small shiner. Most of the bigger fish I've caught on LOW are lured in on the jig stick, then smack the dead stick.

11/13/19 @ 7:58 PM
fish magnet
PRO MEMBER User since 12/29/01

Glow buckshot rattle spoons in firetiger, or super glow perch work good for eyes, with a fathead. Whatever you buy, glow helps with eyes. Get yourself a bright flashlight. 

11/13/19 @ 5:34 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Go with HT Blue Ice rods. Very affordable and good for Walleye in the 30 to 36 inch length

11/13/19 @ 3:43 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Can't help you on the rods, but as far as the business end, I'd get some jigging raps and some Kastmasters. Probably get in touch with the outfit your dealing with for info on colors and sizes. There are other similar options out there, so don't be afraid to get a selection. And since this is your first time ice fishing, you'll either love it or not. If you do, you're already on your way to being properly outfitted. If not, you can send what you bought to me   

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE