LOGIN
Lake-Link

First timer ice fishing. Advice/info ??

11/13/19 @ 1:05 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

Going to LOTW on Minnesota side in late January. I’ve never gone ice fishing before. Father in law is loaning me a couple rods etc but I was going to purchase one also. What (cheaper) jigging setup would you recommend for walleye/sauger-maybe perch? Any ideas on a few jigs/spoons/lures in general (colors). I just am hoping to maybe get a few extra (bragging rights lol) fish. 

Staying at a resort-fish houses etc. Always wanted to do this type of trip and thankfully my friend (who rarely fishes at all-I only fish Muskie/bass normally) and I are able to do. Just don’t want to spend a bunch on extras that I may never really use again but want to be prepared also if that makes sense? 

Thank you for any and all input. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/15/19 @ 12:18 PM
JEYESLAYER
JEYESLAYER
User since 2/8/06

1/4 oz pink glow stop sign

3/16 oz lindy rattling flyer spoon Red Glow

pink/white glow treble hook with glow pink glow beads as a dead stick rod with a fathead

spray baits with baitmate walleye spray often

fish 6" to 12" off bottom 

you'll catch em! have fun!

11/14/19 @ 3:27 PM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

They do rent vexilars so we set that up. 

I am prepared for the cold possibilities but thank you for that as well/and any future reader. I have the clothing already (I sometimes work in the frozen tundra lol) and already also have the truck plug-in. 

I’m feeling way more confident and comfortable/excited. Thanks again for feedback. 

11/14/19 @ 3:22 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I was at LOTW over New Years once and the actual temperature was -35.... that's without wind chill so yes be prepared. My truck plugs in but the others were starting their's 3 or 4 times a night to stop them from freezing up.

Wasn't enough ice yet for the big vans at Rocky's so we were going in and out in the trailers pulls by Suzuki's.

Gold and Glow Red have always been good colors for us but haven't been back in many years.

11/14/19 @ 2:34 PM
CrystalLakeMonster
CrystalLakeMonster
User since 11/22/10

Bring really warm clothes.  Coat, bibs, gloves and especially boots.  Your probably gonna spend most of your time in a heated shack.  Those things can get HOT.  But you don't want to get stuck out there unprepared. 

11/14/19 @ 9:12 AM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Ken Mar Ke does rent them if I’m remembering correctly. I’d reserve them now, because a lot of folks like yourself don’t have the gear and just rent them to see if they want to put down the cash for their own. 

11/14/19 @ 8:22 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Regarding the flasher, definitely inquire about rentals from the resort. But honestly, if they don't, you would be wise to get one yourself. It makes a huge difference. Fishing without it is MUCH more difficult. Don't have to get top of the line, don't even need to buy new (plenty available on craigslist), but if this is going to be your first ice fishing trip, you might as well set yourself up for success. And again, if you enjoy it, you're on your way to being fully outfitted. 

11/14/19 @ 8:10 AM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

Ken Mar Ke Resort is where we are staying 

11/14/19 @ 8:01 AM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

For bobbers, I would go a 6 inches to a foot. If you have a few guys have them all set up different depths to see what the fish want. If you don't mind, what resort are you using?

11/14/19 @ 7:42 AM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

Thank you guys for the info. Greatly appreciated. We will have fun even if there isn’t much going on “catching” fish.  The young guys (my son and my friends son in law low 20 year olds) are always entertaining and there will be good natured ribbing(and probably a little drinking lol) going on. 

Another question for the dead sticking presentation. Do you usually set that at just off bottom or try to set it at different depths? 

I was already wondering about the flashers. I will check with resort for options if the offer any. Otherwise kind of purely guess work. I’ve watched some videos for some extra ideas etc. 

Thanks again. 

11/14/19 @ 7:28 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Best thing to have is a positive attitude! Won’t know what the weather will be, and you get to spend some time with ur bud. The resort will probably help out on tips also. Good luck my friend, and have a great time!!!!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.