MORE
Ice Fishing

Favorite jig discontinued

8/26/21 @ 5:03 PM
INITIAL POST
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Northland mooska jig is discontinued. For me it's my favorite jig for gills and perch. You can still find some at small tackle shops but once there gone that's it per me emailing Northland.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
12/17/21 @ 7:44 PM

Is the Northland mooska jig different than the Northland Hard Rock Mooska?

These are sold all over.

11/29/21 @ 11:13 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

There used to be this glass (or maybe it was plastic) eye on a plain hook.  I think Mad Dog (or Bad Dog) Lures made them.  They sank real slow and worked awesome!  Most fish hit them on the way down.

11/29/21 @ 8:25 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Northland Hexi-Fly. I still have a few. They work great and give off a terrific signature on my LX6. I like the sink rate when fishing less than 12 fow. Tungsten jigs sometimes sink too fast and look unnatural to spooky pannies in clear water.

9/24/21 @ 6:59 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Widowmaker jigs are good jigs. Mostly I use jigs I bought from Shafer's bait shop in Onalaska. 

8/29/21 @ 1:45 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Mr. Seaguar,

I agree there are a lot of options, and yes, most come from overseas and are just painted by Northland, Clam, etc. The pattern / paint job can be the difference between a so-so bite and a great day on the water. So can how the jig is fished, as confidence has a lot to do with how most guys fish. I fully understand both perspectives. 

I think Northland just saw it as they were marketing three different jigs that have basically the same profile and paint scheme under three different names and having to pay for maintaining the marketing and packaging for all three. In a crowded jig market, that doesn't make sense and people always want the 'latest and greatest', so my guess is they kept the more recent names and dropped the old 'Mooska' name. Also, keep in mind that HT is also marketing the 'Marmooska' jig, which has a VERY similar name. Northland dropping the 'Mooska' jig could be simply due to the fact that they were paying to advertise a jig that a direct competitor could possibly/was profiting from. I don't see hardly ANY HT jig advertisements, but see a lot of Northland ads and commercials. If I were Northland wouldn't want to pay for marketing that could end up benefiting one of my direct competitors, who (generally speaking) has a less expensive product across the board than me...

I made the switch a few years ago to to tungsten 'dropper' style jigs and have not looked back. As Mr. Seaguar pointed out, almost all of these jigs are purchased in bulk from China and painted here, so I look for deals on them and don't necessarily stick with a specific brand. Where I live, the Widow Maker jigs have been about the best I've found for price and performance. Very durable paint and competitively priced.

8/28/21 @ 10:37 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

There's nothing special about the mooska jig, dozens of other companies are making an ,identical product. It would be a real challenge to get noticed in such a flooded field. They all order some from China, paint them and resell them. 

8/28/21 @ 4:32 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Bemidji,

I know everyone has their 'favorite jig', but there are several jigs VERY similar to the Northland Mooska Jig...one is in the Northland lineup (Mud Bug). I wonder if they eliminated the Mooska due to the similarities between it and the Mud Bug?? They also have the 'Gill Getter', which again is eerily similar to the Mooska. I would take a look at the Mud Bug and Gill Getter to see if you can get some of those maybe? Being they (Mud Bug and Gill Getter), too, are made by Northland, the color options should be close to/exactly what you are currently using? Confidence is a huge part of fishing, so I get that it sucks that the Mooska is gone...just trying to help point you toward something that will be 'close' or the 'next best thing'?

PimplySwede,

Again, I realize you have always used the Fuzz-E-Grub for walleyes (I have used them as well for early spring/cold water conditions), but BassPro/Cabela's have the 'Crappie Grub' which is basically a Fuzz-E-Grub in BassPro/Cabela's packaging. If you haven't tried them, I have and in my experience they work just as well! Tight lines!

8/27/21 @ 10:10 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

I feel your pain.  Lindy's Fuzz-E-Grub was my go-to walleye jig in the spring.  I'd stock up on the bags of replacement bodies, but no more.

You can still find packs of jigs/bodies, but they don't make just the bodies anymore.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE