SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

family trip ideas

11/14/19 @ 12:17 PM
INITIAL POST
dtaijo174
User since 11/14/19

My kids (3 & 5) having been asking me to take them ice fishing non-stop since I watched a few videos this summer.  To be honest, I’m not much of a hard water guy and don’t have much for equipment or the knowledge to know where to go.  With that said, I was hoping you all could provide me with some recommendations on lakes and outfitters to go to that have tons of action to keep the kids happy and all the equipment to go with it.  I'd need someplace with an icehouse big enough for the kids to play board games already set up on a great spot, with a ride out there.  We live in the Twin Cities area, but the kids are good for a 5-hour drive typically.  I’m thinking perch, crappie, sunnies, and maybe a pike or two.  Thanks in advance

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
11/16/19 @ 7:12 AM
UFCreel
User since 1/4/11

Lake of the Woods. Enough Sauger action to keep anyone busy. Plus some real nice Walleye. Look into Lyon Sleepers. Although there are many other sleeper rentals up there. Pat, Scott, and Justin of Lyon Sleepers are great guys. 

11/15/19 @ 2:29 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

John Andrew posts a lot on the Vilas County report board. I never have fished with him but he seems to be great with kids and posts catches of panfish and occasional pike. His guide service is called Angler's Choice.

11/15/19 @ 1:53 PM
Johnny Wishbone
User since 8/15/18

Can't go wrong taking the kids to Disney World

11/14/19 @ 1:16 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

One idea would Winnibigoshish. It has perch action with the occasional walleye and pike mixed in. Most resorts have houses you rent with plowed roads to the house. Another idea would be Lake of the Woods. Plenty of options there.

A sleeper house is something that is cheaper then the cabin with a day house option. There is room for board games and some moving around if the kids get antsy. It's what I used to do with the kids to really see if ice fishing was for them. 

My personal suggestion would be Winnie just because the perch usually cooperate and are an easy fish for small kids to reel in. You also can get away with pretty basic tackle so you don't have to buy a bunch of specialized equipment. 

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE