Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Ethics of sight fishing.

11/18/19 @ 11:46 AM
ORIGNAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
When I was younger, I got to fish out of a spear shack up in northern Minnesota.  It was a blast watching the fish come in to the bait. 

Now, I've watched several videos on Utube where they cut a large sight hole and fish (usually) laketrout out of it.  What I've never seen is how they mark the hole when they leave so someone doesn't drive/step on it.

I'd love to do this for my kids, make it more exciting for them, but the pessimist in me can't help but see a lawsuit down the road.

Anyone around WI (besides Winnebago) do any sight fishing for pannies - what did you do to mark the hole for safety?

Thanks.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/18/19 @ 1:14 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Good idea Treeshark.  Not the viewing area that a larger rectangle would provide, but  it IS illegal to cut a larger hole than 12" (except for sturgeon spearing) - just found it in the regs.

11/18/19 @ 12:38 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

The tribe leaves spear holes all the time...sometimes marked...often times not.

You be the judge.

11/18/19 @ 12:02 PM
Treeshark
User since 4/5/09

Don’t really need a bigger hole to sight fish, just drill a second “viewing hole” at an angle down to where your bait is.

11/18/19 @ 11:50 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I am pretty sure it's illegal to have a hole greater than 12 inches in Wisconsin unless spearing Sturgeon.  Granted a 12 inch hole still could be a danger at times.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.