SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Ethics of sight fishing.

11/18/19 @ 12:46 PM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
When I was younger, I got to fish out of a spear shack up in northern Minnesota.  It was a blast watching the fish come in to the bait. 

Now, I've watched several videos on Utube where they cut a large sight hole and fish (usually) laketrout out of it.  What I've never seen is how they mark the hole when they leave so someone doesn't drive/step on it.

I'd love to do this for my kids, make it more exciting for them, but the pessimist in me can't help but see a lawsuit down the road.

Anyone around WI (besides Winnebago) do any sight fishing for pannies - what did you do to mark the hole for safety?

Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
11/18/19 @ 2:14 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Good idea Treeshark.  Not the viewing area that a larger rectangle would provide, but  it IS illegal to cut a larger hole than 12" (except for sturgeon spearing) - just found it in the regs.

11/18/19 @ 1:38 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

The tribe leaves spear holes all the time...sometimes marked...often times not.

You be the judge.

11/18/19 @ 12:50 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I am pretty sure it's illegal to have a hole greater than 12 inches in Wisconsin unless spearing Sturgeon.  Granted a 12 inch hole still could be a danger at times.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE