LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Eskimo propane auger will start, but kills when you give it throttle.

1/24/22 @ 10:01 AM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

I've been looking to upgrade from gas to propane.  An acquaintance has one he says needs a little work.  It starts, but as soon as you give it throttle, it dies.

Any ideas if this could be a simple fix, or a hard pass?

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
12/2/22 @ 1:40 PM
Hustad
User since 12/26/18

I had this same issue with my Eskimo propane auger. Replaced carb and regulator neither fixed it. I called their 1800 number and they told me to try resetting the valve clearance and that worked! Good luck hope this helps

1/28/22 @ 1:21 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

I've had my Jiffy propane for 5 years now and never a problem. Starts instantly, no choke, no mixing gas and oil and no spills in truck. I changed the oil twice since I owned it and changed the plug for the 1st time this year. Never a problem with tanks freezing either. 

Two drawbacks, it is heavy compared to any electric but I don't carry it far, it's on the wheeler or in the truck. The second thing is you can't lay it down any ol way, must have the right side up being it's a 4 stroke. 

1/25/22 @ 5:18 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05
As others have mentioned, it is most likely the regulator/fuel line assembly. A buddy of mine won a new Jiffy Pro4 propane auger at a fisheree the first year they were out. He had 3 or 4 regulators replaced under warranty. The last one, he finally had enough and sold the auger to buy a 2-cycle gas model. I wouldn't touch a propane auger with a 10 foot pole. 

I have a Strikemaster Solo with a 6" and 8" drill...bought it new in 2009, have drilled thousands of holes with it and only had to replace the fuel lines twice. Carbs have never been touched. Run premium fuel with no ethanol and good 2-cycle oil or TruFuel (premixed fuel with a very long shelf life) and they will last forever. I drain my auger's tank at the end of the ice season, take the spark plug out and give the cylinder a shot of fogging oil, pull it a few times to spread the oil on the cylinder walls and put it away. Every year I add fresh fuel, prime it and it starts in 3-4 pulls. I also add a small splash (a cap full or two) of SeaFoam or B12 Chemtool to each tank of gas in my auger. It is a crying shame Strikemaster no longer has the Solo option in their lineup. I will never own a battery powered auger. They are slow and I drill too many holes in a day. I would need 3 or 4 batteries...at $150 each, that is cost-prohibitive for me.
1/25/22 @ 10:51 AM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08

I have never had a propane auger but it seems to me from my experience with my Buddy heater in my deer blind is that the emptier those bottles get the less gas pressure there is and the heater shuts down well before the bottles totally empty. My assumption is it shuts down due to low gas pressure.....just my thoughts not knowing anything. Jiffy had problems with theirs And so many used propane jiffy’s were for sale the year after they made them....

I’m with my friend who is a pretty good fisherman and  says he’s sticking with gas......” just take care of the motor when storing for the summer” .....

1/25/22 @ 7:50 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Replace like others said the fuel hose and regulator it's a problem on all propane auger brands I do have a propane auger but I rarely use it but one time it would stall when trying to drill but it was that that propane bottle was not tight.

1/24/22 @ 2:07 PM
fishNdisc
User since 3/7/10

My buddy has this auger and he has had similar issues, sent it in and they replaced the lp line.  They redesigned that part from the original and now the auger works fine.

1/24/22 @ 1:33 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

If you are looking to upgrade I would go to electric.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE