SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Eskimo Pistol Bit Wont' cut ice

1/10/21 @ 9:47 AM
INITIAL POST
Sir Waldo
User since 5/29/19

Anyone else having issues with their 8" Eskimo Pistol bit auger? Paired it up with a new drill that exceeded the min requirements for torque and all excited to give it a first time run yesterday. Major disappointment to say the least!  Would not cut for crap! Fully charged battery - brand new Milwaukee drill and it was a disaster.  Tried no, light and hard down pressure.  This thing would barely grab the ice if at all.  When it did, it would quit cutting a few inches in.  The holes I was able to drill completely through in 7-8 inches of ice took forever.  Asked my buddy to give it a try - same result.  Contacted Eskimo to get this resolved.  Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issue?  Tight lines.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
2/8/21 @ 4:53 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

LOL looks like the junkie is back!!

2/5/21 @ 12:31 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

If they were aware of the issue, why wouldn't they have replaced the blades instead of throwing in an extra set and broadcasting the fact that they screwed up? That's an odd business tactic. The defective augers would already be at the distributors, so I doubt anyone actually gets 2 sets of blades. They are keeping this issue pretty hush, hush. Nothing better than opening up a brand new product, planning to use it on the ice, only to end up not even being able to fish! 

2/5/21 @ 12:25 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Oldfred,  Eskimo had a batch of bad blades.  Once the realized this, they started tossing in an extra set of blades in the box.  If you didn't get a set, shoot me a text on my cell 612-269-9352, I can get you in touch with the person to get you a new set of blades.

2/3/21 @ 8:12 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Sounds like you got one with bad blades too. Thankfully it's an easy fix and Eskimo is working with the customers. 

2/3/21 @ 1:00 AM
Oldfred
User since 2/2/21

Took my 8 inch pistol bit out of the box and hooked up my XR hammer drill and tried to cut hole with this brand new augar and it wouldn’t even start a cut through the ice it just spun in place!

1/25/21 @ 10:47 AM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

Sir Waldo, glad your problem has been fixed.I have the exact same set up as you do.

I bought the hammer drill version as well, only because the internals of the drill are beefier in that configuration. 

I drilled 15 holes on Friday in 7"-8" of ice and my battery still showed a full charge of 4 bars...

Love the set up !

1/25/21 @ 10:29 AM
Sir Waldo
User since 5/29/19

Final update:  For those that may be considering going to the Pistol Bit with electric drill - gave it another go yesterday.  Drilled 45 holes in 8-9 inches of ice - full battery to dead.  Awesome set-up. Tight lines.

1/21/21 @ 4:08 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Waldo, glad it is working well for you

1/19/21 @ 10:37 PM
Sir Waldo
User since 5/29/19

Update:  Installed the new blades Eskimo sent me and BAAM! This thing now cuts through ice like a hot knife through butter! Sweet mother of pearls.  If interested, I paired it with a Milwaukee Fuel M18 model 2804-20 drill.  This is the hammer drill model which is not necessary. The 2803-20 is the non-hammer model and will work just as good but could not find locally.  If you are interested in the kit that comes with two batteries and the charger it is model 2803-22.  I drilled 17 holes through 7 inches of ice and had 75% battery life remaining (XC5.0AH battery).  Run it on speed 1.  Total weight (auger/drill) 12 pounds. Tight lines.

1/17/21 @ 12:30 AM
Sir Waldo
User since 5/29/19

Tim -  Blades are on the way.  Will update after. Thanks.

1/15/21 @ 5:25 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Sir Waldo, I am on Eskimo's Pro Staff.  Did Eskimo take care of you?  Not sure when you contacted Eskimo, but we recently found out that they had a bad batch of blades that were ground wrong.  I got a Pistol Bit with these same issues.  They should be sending you a new set of blades that will resolve your problem.  If they have not, please PM me, or text me on my cell phone (612-269-9352), and I will give you a direct contact at Eskimo.

1/11/21 @ 3:42 PM
Sir Waldo
User since 5/29/19

Roger that...had her on 1.  Just got off phone with Eskimo - they confirmed they did have a batch of bad blades.  Sending knew ones.  Will update once I have given it a try.  Thanks and tight lines.

1/11/21 @ 2:15 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Be sure that you have the drill speed at the # 1 and in drilling mode speed # 2 to fast 

I caught my brother doing that he was making chips but was getting nowhere lol.

1/11/21 @ 8:15 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Sir waldo,

I would try a different blade first. If you know anybody that has the same auger, let them try your blades before you go changing pitch.

I had the same issue on my gas strikemaster a couple years ago. Put new blade on and it wouldn't cut. Called strike master and they said i need to send auger in to return the pitch. I fought with them to get my money back for the blade. They said nope. Went to local sports shop where the sell resharpened blades and bought one and it worked fine.

1/10/21 @ 3:41 PM
Sir Waldo
User since 5/29/19

TL Guy - thank you for your feedback.  Was thinking along those lines as bad as that thing was not cutting. Hope that does the trick for me too.  Will update.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE