Lake-Link

DIY Wheel House

12/22/14 @ 4:09 PM
ORIGNAL POST
SumpinFishy
SumpinFishy
User since 12/9/14
Hi Guys,

I am just starting a DIY project in the shop. I will add pics and post about my progress as I go...I did a quick search and couldn't find any topics about this so I started a new thread.

Anyway, I stole the idea for the frame from a local fisherman that I met through a friend. It is a simple lever system that uses the wheel as a fulcrum and drops the frame down to the ice. The wheels are set back 5" from center to add a little extra tongue weight so it's not too back heavy. The spindles are welded directly to the pull down and they are held in place with a 3/4" pin toward the front when in transit.

Let me know if you have any ideas or thoughts as I go. Feel free to PM me.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/9/15 @ 10:05 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
I'm not going to get in a pi**ing match about this on an ice fishing thread but all the places you mention it recommended for are "protected" and in none is it intended to be exposed to prolonged standing water. In roofing we use the same SPF at a rate of 2.8 to 3.0 lb/cu.ft at minimum and guess what, it absorbs water eventually, even after we install silicon surface coatings(for waterproofing and the SPF itself is not very UV resistant) and reflective granular surfaces. UV exposure promotes reactions in the foam which are detrimental to the foam structure itself. If it didn't absorb water or break down we would never be replacing these roofs, they would last forever.

Is it a great product, it certainly can be, and we continue to use it when circumstances dictate.

This coming from 20 years of experience, not reading a brochure.

Now back to ice shanty construction!

1/8/15 @ 6:49 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
MEMBER since 2/12/02
Fish hound I might beg to differ.

Because the cells in two pound Closed-Cell Spray Foam are closed, properly applied Closed-Cell Spray Foam will not absorb water. That is why it is recommended for below grade applications, crawlspaces and attics.

This comes right from our litrature. I personally would try and keep my shack from sitting in water but I wouldn't sweat it too much. Closed cell foam is also used as flotation in the boating field.

8/17/10 @ 4:21 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
It's a closed cell foam so it will "resist" water, it's not waterproof. Submerged in water it will absorb moisture and it will migrate throughout, we specify and use the same SPF on commercial and industrial roofs quite often so I'm very familiar with its properties.

1/8/15 @ 5:04 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
MEMBER since 2/12/02
It is closed cell so it should resist absorbtion.............but I would think it mah still stick if not blocked up

1/8/15 @ 11:21 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
I agree, the foam on the bottom was a mistake. If there is water on the ice it will get saturated and when it freezes it will want to stay on the lake when you lift the shanty.

Other than that it looks like a great job!

1/8/15 @ 10:19 AM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03
Let us know how that spray foam on the bottom holds up. I think once this ice house sits on the lake for awhile in might stick of tear off when you try to lift it and move it around. Overall it looks like a really nice place to hang out, nice job.

1/7/15 @ 5:13 PM
SumpinFishy
SumpinFishy
User since 12/9/14
More pics...she is heading out this weekend for her maiden voy√°ge.

We used 2"x2"x3/16" steel in the main frame and 1.5"x1.5"x1/8" on the supports. 16"OC for the supports and 5/8" green plywood. Our wall framing was ripped down from 2x6's so they're 1.5"x1.5"+

The material cost for the steel was around $300.

Spray foam was $550 for 1.5" all the way around, 2"+ on ceiling and under body.

1/3/15 @ 4:40 AM
Rods of Fury
Rods of Fury
User since 3/15/12
I'm looking to build one also, what would everyone recommend for the steel? Curious about the dimensions and also the wall thickness. What was your rough cost for the frame itself? Thanks.

12/30/14 @ 8:12 PM
SumpinFishy
SumpinFishy
User since 12/9/14
Making some progress. We decided on a single door after talking to Ron at Fish House Supply, he said the quality of the double doors was poor so they quit selling them. The windows are dual pane sliders that we got at Menards for $60/per.

12/23/14 @ 8:21 PM
SumpinFishy
SumpinFishy
User since 12/9/14
Anyone know where to get a double door that is less than 5'6" wide?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.