Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Custom rod

1/29/18 @ 7:28 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Flyfisherman22
User since 2/6/17
Im looking at upgrading my rod collection. I recently picked up an inline reel which I haven't used yet but I think it's also time to upgrade rods as well. Any thought on customs? I've looked at dh, tucr, and even elk River? But I'm not sure what people's thoughts are. I've heard mixed reviews on dh's customer service and great things about the precision noodle and bullwhip from tucr but I haven't ruled anything out. Also I'm not looking for a flat blank I've tried the tickle stick from 13 and not sold. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 24 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/6/18 @ 12:18 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

BigMusky - it's hard to compare to other brands because there really aren't any other brands that offer something comparable if you're looking at reels with the open bail option. I honestly like my frabill 371 better than the freefall if it weren't for the push button on the side. I was also able to take advantage of Dunhams awesome sale and got the frabill 371 rod/reel combo for $25 this year. But the trigger switch is so much more convenient I end up using the FF 9 times out of 10. I've heard good things about the 6061 and I think the FF will hold up just as well. I'm interested to read the reviews on the BB ghost after this season to see how it holds up. I'd agree though, whether or not the cost is worth it is questionable. For me it is hard to put a price on convenience.

2/6/18 @ 11:00 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

I am not totally convinced the black betty or freefall or worth the money they charge because I have not tried other brands - I can attest to have several of the 6061 though and they have been reliable over several seasons since they came out, so I really cannot complain.  

2/6/18 @ 10:56 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Go big or go home.  Spend the money and get the Black Betty.

If you find that an inline just isn't for you, you shouldn't have any problem getting most of your money back selling it (from the sounds of other reviews).

2/6/18 @ 10:21 AM
opay617
User since 1/10/12

kvandehei33,

I have been looking at both of those reels, but I have been debating if I should just get a nice inline reel like the Blackbetty.  I have a friend that is going to give me an eagle claw that I am going to give a whirl.

As far as rods go I have looked at most of the ones you mentioned but it seems most people that progress from those rods to custom rods and do not go back.  I guess it comes down to how much money do I want to spend. 

Anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks for the advice kvandehei33

2/6/18 @ 7:42 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I completely agree with you Seaguar! It just gets tough to hide the purchases from the wife! And my current rod case is maxed out so more rods means another rod case, which I would then have to fill. It's a never ending cycle, a good problem to have.

Opay - As far as reels, If you're just getting into inlines I'd suggest either the 13 fishing descent or No. 8 CGI. I've also been looking at the Clam Ice Spooler elite reel which looks pretty good, think I'm going to get it and give it a try on my fishing trip this week. If you like them then I'd consider upgrading to the frabill 371 or Blackbetty freefall, these are the only two (that I know of) that have a free spool option which is nice to have but definitely not a necessity. They also have a much higher price tag. As far as rods, as you can see everyone has their own preference. My first "nice" rod for panfish was a St. Croix legend UL which I loved, until I tried the 13 fishing ticklestick SUL. Which I also loved until I bought my first custom. They're all great panfish rods and there are plenty of other good options, just depends on what you like/what you want.

2/5/18 @ 11:59 PM
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

You can never have too many rods, KVandehei.

On the other hand, the fish don't really care. I would rather fish with Schooleys than anything else. However, I have an assortment of Thorne Bro rods that I use when I am inside a shack. And I am always looking at the new TB rods at my favorite baitshop. I have 2 more selected. Which I do not need. But you can never have too many rods.

2/5/18 @ 7:30 PM
opay617
User since 1/10/12

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of research on switching to a inline reel and a new rod to go with it.  Any suggestions before I make a purchase.  Looking to mostly panfish with it.

Thanks

2/5/18 @ 9:48 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Hey Cmunyon - how does the tip sensitivity of the QT compare to the PN? A guy is selling a QT for pretty cheap near me and I thought about buying it but my Ace noodle is pretty much the same as the PN so I don't have a need for it if there is no difference...

2/3/18 @ 8:02 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

I just saw your post on custom rods.I have 4 TUCR rods,love them.The bullwhip is great panfish rod and very versatile.It handles tungsten up to 5mm very well,1/16 spoons no problem.It will do 1/8 spoons in a pinch.I have 2 BW,a quick tip which is a nice pannie rod and a new this year Fusion.I'm sure they are all good but the guys at Tucr know what their doing and they are great to talk to.Give John a call at tuned up he will let you know what would work for you.

2/1/18 @ 10:48 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

Right? I am/did give recommendations. JT and/or if you want a real custom rod and save $, build it yourself. And those rods from the 70's pulled just as many, probably more fish through a hole in one season then any of our rods. And any rod from a store these days would have been a huge upgrade. With lead jigs on. And yes I do use some spinning reels. Im not fighting a big walleye or brown with my little inline? And now whats the problem with lead jigs? What fish like the taste of tungsten better? Lol..

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 24 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.