LOGIN
Lake-Link

Crappie Techniques

12/15/14 @ 10:51 PM
ORIGNAL POST
IceKid97
IceKid97
User since 12/15/14
What are some good starting set ups and ways to fish for crappie i have caught them with make shift minnow set ups but am looking to target them solely and would like some tips. I have lots of different jig types and gear i just need to know how to fish them and with what.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/16/14 @ 11:07 AM
JustPerchinAround
User since 1/16/14
I usually like the evening/night bite for the crappies. I will generally deadstick a minnow in one hole, and then jig in another. I usually like to jig with a Kastmaster or a Swedish Pimple. I tip the spoons with either grubs or minnow heads. I agree that a flasher is a must for crappies. They can be all over the water column and you won't know they are there without the feedback you get from your flasher. I have also found, that at times, I can draw them in with my jigging spoons, but the bite will come on the deadstick, so pay close attention to that rod.

12/16/14 @ 10:56 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02
Rembrandts work great on the Miss in the trees but honestly I've never tried them anywhere else. Don't see why they wouldn't. Mix it up, one day it's a plain minnow the next it's jigging raps. Give it a try. Speakign of slender spoons...They work great also, for anything!

12/16/14 @ 10:32 AM
IceKid97
IceKid97
User since 12/15/14
I have horizontal glow gill pills, ever try rembrandts? Or just a simple rat finki?

12/16/14 @ 9:47 AM
crappieguy
User since 2/11/02
Some really good points already given, I like to use horizontal jigs and plastics. B-Y Baits has some great plastics.

A flasher is a definite need since Crappies tend to suspend in deep water during mid winter.

Fishing at peak bite times, early morning first light, late afternoon, cloudy days, and at night. All lakes differ in what time is best. Lakes with a lot of pressure and clear water are usually better at night.

Tip Downs are one of my favorite ways to catch Crappies, especially at night. If you want more info on them message me and I can help you out.

For jigs I like little cecil, ratso, slender spoons.

12/16/14 @ 9:05 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
Ditto on the night bite. Especially on clear lakes. Setup on the nearest healthy weed edge near the basin. 12 - 15 feet maybe. Before sunset of course. My favorite bait? A simple glow teardrop jig and a rosy red minnow. I bend the hook point out just a bit. I've had luck with this on small lakes especially when you didn't even realize that many crappie were in the lake. I learned that on a small south waukesha county lake.... fun lake for new people to the sport..

12/16/14 @ 7:22 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02
I don't necessarily target crappie all that often but whne I have I have done well on cecils, finkies with plastic, and moonglow jigs. I'll tip these with grubs. It's basically a horizontal or vertial presentation on any given days. Minnows on a slip float will work well at times also. Tipdowns work great too. The night bite can be very good on some lakes , others it is nonexistant. A flasher is nearly a must as they will often suspend very high in the water column and you will need to work them a little to get bit. Target lakes that have know good populations of fish. I like clear water as the night bite can be excellent on these types of lakes.

Good Luck

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.