MORE
Ice Fishing

Countdown to Go Time Part 2

11/9/22 @ 12:17 AM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

It's almost here. When are you hoping to get out and what part of the state? 

Couldn't find the original thread, so I started this one.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 90 posts
1/18/24 @ 10:26 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Oh. That’s nice. So ice has been building this week at a lot of lakes in SW? That would be a really good scenario actually.
1/18/24 @ 8:28 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
NP…Most of the lakes in SW weren’t locked up before the heavy snow started. The small lakes and ponds that did ice over and held the snow will definitely not be building ice as quickly. 
1/17/24 @ 10:56 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I’m in Vilas, and while I haven’t been out the last couple weeks, I’m not too concerned about the slush. After the last couple years, with a couple feet of snow on the ice, that was real slush. Can’t imagine it being much of an issue with just few inches out there right now. I could be wrong, but I’m not really concerned up here. 

I am curious about Southern Wisconsin Lakes. Just a couple inches of ice, then all that snow. Followed by a warm-up coming. That could get crazy.
1/17/24 @ 1:29 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
I feel like I'm on a facebook forum with people getting upset about little details and arguing over ice conditions  ​ Was simply wondering where Hunter&Hound was referencing there being slush. After last season, that word is a little traumatizing.

I fish polk county, that's north of 94. I fish chippewa and rusk county, that's north of 29. I appreciate the explanation of the pathway of 94, haven't been back down to MKE or Madison since I graduated college but traveled it more than I wish I had. But, 29 actually goes slightly NE from Elk Mound to Wausau, if we're getting nit picky   

Anyways, my point was that ATVs are good to go on any lakes with enough ice to support them, which includes 90% of lakes north of 'western 70 miles of 94' and 29, the amount of slush we do have shouldn't be a problem and no major snow storms in the future.

Sure glad we got that ​all cleared up! Tight lines folks.
1/17/24 @ 11:57 AM
Turkeyslayer2
User since 8/28/11
North of 29 and the NW part of the state have reports of better ice with less snow/slush but still hearing reports of some slushy spots mostly everywhere. 
1/17/24 @ 11:54 AM
Turkeyslayer2
User since 8/28/11
First off I'm not a southerner.  Secondly you are correct that 29 & 94 intersect at Elk Mound.  However, going east from Elk Mound 29 goes straight east to Wausau then slightly SE to Green Bay.  94 on the other hand heads more south east directly from Elk Mound through Tomah then Madison then east to Milwaukee.  Wausau and Madison are 120ish miles apart and so are Green Bay and Milwaukee.  There's a huge difference in the amount of ice on the lakes and the amount of snow/slush on the ice in that 120 miles.
1/17/24 @ 11:05 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
29 and 94 intersect in Elk Mound ​where 94 shoots straight west to the cities. 29 and 94 essentially ​make a straight line ​east and west across the state. Sorry for the ​confusion for you southerners. Virtually no snow and excellent ice on the lakes I'm heading to in Sawyer county this weekend! Heard Grindstone and LCO still had some open water recently. I don't spend much time on those big lakes, too good of fishing on the ​small lakes everyone overlooks.
1/17/24 @ 9:32 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01
Vilas Co snowbelt lakes have slush...especially the ones that freeze later.

Trout Lake had open water on Monday.
1/17/24 @ 9:26 AM
Turkeyslayer2
User since 8/28/11
94 & 29 are a long ways apart.  I'm near 29 & 39 and the lakes and reservoirs here have lots of slush and little ice
1/16/24 @ 2:19 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Where are you referencing? Only a few inches of snow north of 94/29 and all the reports I've heard are zero slush. I'll find out myself on Friday! Annual guys trip northern WI Friday-Monday.
1/16/24 @ 9:23 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01
Slush is going to be a problem for any wheeled vehicle.  I saw a few snowmachines on the ice, but no ATV/UTV.
1/16/24 @ 8:26 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Now that most lakes are good for ATVs, I'm hoping for a good warm up to keep the trucks off the lakes in the northwoods. So much more peaceful without all the vehicle traffic!
1/15/24 @ 7:58 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Got out on a lake 5 minutes from the house. Anywhere from 2.5" to 6". No marks. No bites. I didn't care because I was walking on the hard stuff!! Hoping this arctic blast makes enough to carry us through the warm stuff coming. Get out there if you can. I will fish Wednesday and Thursday somewhere.
1/12/24 @ 1:38 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Going to go check lakes on Wednesday. If I find anything safe I'll blow the cobwebs and dust off of the ice fishing gear that has sat absolutely ready to go since Thanksgiving. Ahem. Gotta love SE Wisco.
1/10/24 @ 7:39 PM
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
User since 7/29/21
The south will be fishing soon
Countdown to Go Time Part 2 photo by SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
Displaying 1 to 15 of 90 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE