Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

countdown to go time! :D

8/28/09 @ 6:28 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Ice'n Tibs
USER SINCE 11/18/05
I'm not going to worry about anything until deer season is over, maybe I'll get really lucky, shoot one, and head out on the lake in the afternoon.

I've been working on the shack, but everything else can wait until November.

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 1,012 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/20/20 @ 9:11 AM
tzeilstra
USER SINCE 8/4/08

n. pike - I'd guess I probably follow the forecast just as obsessively as you this time of year and yes, I've noticed the disturbing trends. I actually follow some meteorologists on social media for their thoughts on teleconnections and other things that may indicate weather pattern changes. The good news is, a bunch of them think we're in for a decent December, but the bad news it won't turn cold until around the 9th. Since it will be cold but not extreme cold and water temps are almost 50 degrees thanks to the November heat wave we had, that puts walkable ice in my neck of the woods somewhere during the week between Christmas and New Years.  

11/19/20 @ 4:38 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

If any of you have been following the forecast closely like I have, you’ve seen a very disturbing trend. Every day for the last two weeks, the true making ice is about two weeks off!

It just keeps getting pushed back. In the Northwoods at least. Southern Wisconsin, might be longer, but usually a cold snap covers the whole state and it’s about five days difference from my experience. But some years it can be extreme. The one thing is that sometimes the Northwoods gets locked up pretty well, then there’s a warm-up, but the small lakes survive it. Where in southern Wisconsin they get that first 2 to 4 inches of ice, then it just goes. Too warm too quick. Seems to be about a 5 to 10 temperature range for the Lows each night between northern and southern Wisconsin this time of year.

Heck, I’ll even take a high of 36 and a low of 22. That would be positive ice making weather. It’s just not light out for very long anymore this time of year…We’re just not seeing that in the forecast for a while. I will say the last few years we’ve had extremely early ice. So the trend is warming a bit, but the falls have been cold up north. But it seems like it then warms up sometimes in December. But we’re fine by then with ice coverage on the small lakes. 

When we had a cold snap in October, I was a bit worried it was “too cold too quick”. Things certainly leveled out and we were smacked with warmer weather now. It’s actually not that much above normal if you look at the averages. We just got spoiled early. Some falls just stay cold. This one leveled out.

11/19/20 @ 12:47 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

This climate change has influenced weather extremes swinging them in all directions wildly... The planet is definitely slowly warming up though !

Mild daytime temps 30's predicted with the overnight lows in the 20's, teens, + single digits this winter !!!

We'll be making ice nightly, just how much depends on amount of snow...

11/19/20 @ 11:03 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

"Western WI definitely won’t be getting ice for another few weeks" - keep telling people that! Keep the crowds away as long as possible!   

11/19/20 @ 10:51 AM
Analog man
Analog man
USER SINCE 12/10/18

I'm good. Rifle season, muzzle loader season and open water fishing. I'll keep busy until there is ice. 

And new shack assembly. 

11/19/20 @ 9:51 AM
tzeilstra
USER SINCE 8/4/08

It's a rough time to be any kind of winter sports enthusiast. Around this time of year, with the temperatures almost invariably trending "mild" (I really despise that word) I always start questioning whether I should give it up and take up something that isn't so dependent on things out of my control (weather). 

11/19/20 @ 8:55 AM
mcgeer
USER SINCE 12/4/18

Western WI definitely won’t be getting ice for another few weeks. 10 day forecast still show highs in the 40’s. Any other year I might be fine with that, but this year I’m getting antsy to be on hard water!

11/17/20 @ 1:25 PM
fishnhunt14
USER SINCE 4/17/07

Backwaters were skimmed over this morning, so the water is cold enough to go. The long range forecast is not looking good. Looking like we won't have ice until mid December if we are lucky for central/ southern WI. With the way November started I figured for sure we would be on some ice Thanksgiving weekend but we won't even be close now. 

11/17/20 @ 11:19 AM
hockeyguy39
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Had a Facebook memory pop up that reminded me I was on the ice with my daughter and a friend of hers one year ago yesterday. Sadly, not even close to locking up this year. Although admittedly, last year was pretty early for this area (Fox Valley). 

Can't wait though! Got a Dewalt HD/Clam Plate set up I'm anxious to use. That along with the smitty sled I built at the end of the season last year will make getting out there a breeze compared to just a Jet sled with a 3hp Jiffy lol.

11/17/20 @ 9:54 AM
Analog man
Analog man
USER SINCE 12/10/18

It's going to be a very good day.

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 1,012 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.