Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

countdown to go time! :D

8/28/09 @ 6:28 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Ice'n Tibs
USER SINCE 11/18/05
I'm not going to worry about anything until deer season is over, maybe I'll get really lucky, shoot one, and head out on the lake in the afternoon.

I've been working on the shack, but everything else can wait until November.

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 1,012 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/29/20 @ 5:40 PM
Yahara
USER SINCE 11/21/20

6-10 day temperature outlook looks warmer and dryer than average for early December. 

After a google search “Average for early December” in Rhinelander is highs in the upper 20s, lows in the mid teens. In Madison, average for early December is highs in the low 30s, lows in the low 20s. Now add a few degrees to that for the temperature outlook. 

looks like ice will still be developing in northern WI (just at a slower rate), and that southern WI will have to keep waiting. 

11/24/20 @ 4:11 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

More pics

11/24/20 @ 4:09 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

Surprisingly, it can be go time now for some...  My disclaimer would be that it’s only go time for those who regularly fish early ice. People that fish this early- they likely know what they’re doing. They should know what they’re looking for. For the general public, this is not go time. And, it’s only go time on a few smaller bodies of water And of course, it only makes sense to stay close to shore, until you feel you can work your way out further safely if you want to go out deeper.  But, We saw four people icefishing today. Two were on shore with their tip ups very shallow. The other two were out onto the lake enough where they probably felt comfortable walking around a bit.

We walked around the shallows a little bit. Ice felt firm and from what I could see with the bubbles on the bottom it appeared to be about 2 inches. I’m over 200 pounds so I didn’t do anything crazy.  The daytime highs have been near 32. And the nights have been cold.  Saturday is concerning of course. But we take this thing a day at a time early ice…

11/24/20 @ 10:23 AM
pflueger
USER SINCE 7/23/03

N Pike are you going to be checking any ice today? It's been below freezing for 3 days straight thinking there could be enough ice in very first ice spots. Heard guys were ice fishing near Webster on Sunday on 2 in.

11/23/20 @ 7:09 PM
fishnhunt14
USER SINCE 4/17/07

Forecast for southern WI is looking good for next week! 

11/23/20 @ 11:34 AM
tzeilstra
USER SINCE 8/4/08

Thanks for the info! It sounds like it will be a little sketchy to make it worth bringing gear. I have been known to be the first one on the ice, but it's a little thin even for me!

11/22/20 @ 11:02 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

I am in Vilas....boy, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe bring the minimum without too much hassle so that if it doesn't work out, you didn't waste too much time. If you know of small, shallow waters and aren't too choosy about how far out you go or getting to just the right spot, I would imagine somewhere a guy could punch a few holes. It's really tough to tell right now, but I did see about an inch today on one of my favorite first ice lakes and I know a spot that always freezes even faster than my first ice spot that probably has 1.5 on it. Temps this week look to have maybe a shot at making a little ice most nights just due to the long nights we have this time of year. Daytime highs are higher than I'd like to see, but if it's cloudy, shouldn't hurt too much since the high is simply a high and not representative of the entire day's temp. 

I know the guys that fish really early ice know what they are doing and what they are looking for. You are one of those guys I'm sure!

11/22/20 @ 5:03 PM
tzeilstra
USER SINCE 8/4/08
n. pike - Nice! You're in Vilas if I recall correctly, right? I am heading up to Langlade/Southern Forest County later this week and had not planned on bringing my ice gear...maybe I should reconsider? 

11/22/20 @ 12:37 AM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

Another few pics. Tzeilstra- sounds like we both follow the weather this time of year quite closely. It’s been frustrating the last couple of weeks for sure! 

11/22/20 @ 12:26 AM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

More ice than I thought today. We might slowly make more. Highs only peak out for about an hour per day... nights really long... 

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 1,012 POSTS
Advertise here
Whether you’re looking to plan your next fishing trip, or just make the most of your time on the water, the Humminbird FishSmart app can help. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird FishSmart App
Minn Kota Ultra: Proven in the real world. Year after year. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
St. Croix's all-new series of technique-specific rods features extreme performance blanks and materials specific to each model. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Croix Custom Ice series
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.