Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

countdown to go time! :D

8/28/09 @ 6:28 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Ice'n Tibs
USER SINCE 11/18/05
I'm not going to worry about anything until deer season is over, maybe I'll get really lucky, shoot one, and head out on the lake in the afternoon.

I've been working on the shack, but everything else can wait until November.

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 1,012 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/30/20 @ 11:07 PM
beanbag
USER SINCE 12/17/09

I was asking because of phat walleyes post a few back when he said.,..' any wind day or night will boost ice making in mild temps either way".

11/30/20 @ 10:55 PM
14 7/8
USER SINCE 7/30/07

Wind is bad for the initial ice formation for obvious reasons.  Once there is a thin layer of ice, wind make ice faster if the air temp is below freezing, but wind eats up the ice faster if the air temp is above freezing.  So, the effect of wind is to increase the heat transfer in either direction, because the boundary layer of either warmed or cooled air, just above the ice is replaced faster in windy conditions, always maximizing the delta T.  That is why every heat exchange device (AC, furnace, dehumidfier, auto radiator, auto heater) pass air across the coils.

11/30/20 @ 9:55 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER SINCE 12/19/10

It doesn’t, wind will keep ice from forming. 

11/30/20 @ 7:27 PM
beanbag
USER SINCE 12/17/09

How does wind help with ice making ?.

11/30/20 @ 6:34 PM
arthur1957
arthur1957
USER SINCE 6/24/01
Last year, I had good ice at IL/WI state line on one lake and one backwater I fish by December 15. The next 10 nights will be cold enough to make ice and I may be able to fish by 15th again this year. No snow forecast, so that is good. Shorter days and sun lower in sky, so a couple days around 40 for high for a couple hours should not hurt. 

11/30/20 @ 5:48 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

I feel bad for you guys in southern Wisconsin. I really do. When I lived down there, I remember a few times in mid winter the ice would go. Just never something you can count on.

The long range forecasts sometime  made me cringe and it seemed like every time the forecast would get worse and worse!

In northern Wisconsin right now we’re in a good situation. Yeah, I probably overthink things, but when we have a day of a high of 38, and a low of 20 for example...the average temperature If you divided every minute by 24 hours is probably around 27°. Definitely a plus ice making day. When the high is 38, The 38° is simply a very short time. The low of 20 degrees will last longer and the temps do stay well below freezing for a very long period. We’re  in pretty good shape up here going forward even if the temperature isnt as cold as usual.

11/30/20 @ 4:59 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

The way I see it, mild temps but any wind DAY or NIGHT will be a boost in ice making temps either way... 

Illinois it's a late January/February ice season and that is if the ice is thicker!

11/30/20 @ 10:06 AM
tzeilstra
USER SINCE 8/4/08

fishnhunt - I'm calling it a dud because the long range forecast takes us through the heart of the ice season and there are no cold snaps in the forecast. Just 30's for highs, high teens for lows as far as the eye can see. I know it can all change, but the signs aren't pointing that way. 

11/30/20 @ 9:26 AM
fishnhunt14
USER SINCE 4/17/07

LOL- November 30th and some guys are already calling it a dud year because we didn't have early ice. A lot can change, one cold snap is all it takes. 

11/30/20 @ 8:37 AM
tzeilstra
USER SINCE 8/4/08

jcc - unless something in the long term outlook drastically changes, I don't foresee some of the biggest bodies of water locking up at all this winter in the south. There are no low temps below about 15 degrees, and very few sub-freezing highs looking out through January. I know long range forecasts aren't always the most accurate, but this is looking like yet another dud of an ice year around here. 

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 1,012 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.