Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

countdown to go time! :D

8/28/09 @ 6:28 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Ice'n Tibs
USER SINCE 11/18/05
I'm not going to worry about anything until deer season is over, maybe I'll get really lucky, shoot one, and head out on the lake in the afternoon.

I've been working on the shack, but everything else can wait until November.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 1,050 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

12/21/21 @ 11:04 AM
tzeilstra
USER SINCE 8/4/08

I'd like a little bit of snow for Christmas, but mostly I just want temperatures to be reasonable for this time of year. We don't need bitter arctic cold to get things going, we just need temperatures to be somewhat near historical norms. But even that is too much to ask apparently. 

12/21/21 @ 10:52 AM
svitreum
svitreum
USER SINCE 8/29/06

A week ago, I was almost sure to be able to get on the ice by Christmas, now it's looking like well beyond New Year's. Got all my ice fishing gear ready a month ago for nothing. My fish stash is dwindling. I might have to actually go buy fish for a fish fry if this is protracted. Sigh. I will say, I do not miss the snow at all.

12/21/21 @ 8:37 AM
tzeilstra
USER SINCE 8/4/08

Day 21 of endless Fall...Winter nowhere to be found. Supplies are running low and the crew is getting restless. 

Seriously though, I can't stand December anymore. Every year I think it's going to be different, and every year it's the same ol' thing. Sitting around waiting for the warm weather to finally go away. 

12/12/21 @ 11:56 AM
Fishrun
USER SINCE 6/8/20

With heavy snow on thin ice , warm temps and rain coming midweek I think it would be best for everything to melt and start over. Colder weather returns towards next weekend, hopefully it stays that way.

12/12/21 @ 10:26 AM
icelord5
USER SINCE 2/3/08
Decent temps starting Friday night down here in se Wisconsin. Hopeful to be out by the 27th. Will definitely be the latest start I can remember in over 6 years. Last year wasn’t much better but I was out on the 21st.  Bring on the cold!!!

12/11/21 @ 12:15 AM
n.pike
n.pike
USER SINCE 4/2/02

Tons of snow tonight in Vilas County. But, ice will be ok in spots. Just going to be a mess getting around. 

In Southern Wisconsin, this forecast reminds me of ones that I used to fear. Whenever there was a "warm up", it would be predicted warmer and warmer almost each day as the forecast would change. Then, instead of one warm spike of a day, there might be 3. Just a helpless feeling. I'm hoping things change soon for southern Wi, ice guys. If it doesn't, come up north and bring those tip ups!

12/10/21 @ 11:31 AM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
USER SINCE 3/29/20

I spend a lot of time at our cabin in presqueisle in the winter and in my experience it would take several days of warm weather to settle down the snow enough to drastically speed up ice making. Lakes that were open before the big snow will have the best chance of building good clear ice or those still open. When we had the big snow in end of November 2019 we had probably 10 inches of ice presqueisle lake with only 3 inches of solid clear ice the rest white Ice. While the main basin was 8 inches of solid clear ice. And the winter where we got major snow in February the lake had waist deep snow in alot of spots with a foot or two of slush under it and was pretty much impossible to fish and or drive a snowmobile on. But after a week of subzero temperatures you could finally move around as it had solidified the snow well. So it's all going to depend on what lake and where you are. Good luck everyone and stay topside!

12/10/21 @ 9:45 AM
DuckSlayin88
USER SINCE 9/13/11

Starting to wonder if the warm-up next week will be good in the long run for some of these areas with significant snow. Thats alot of snow on a little amount of ice. If warm temps can knock that down a bit... will get some better ice growth down the road.

Can 5-10 inches of snow insulate a lake with 4-6 inches of ice when 50 degrees hit? Guess we will find out next week.

12/10/21 @ 12:56 AM
jaybeeturtle
USER SINCE 3/17/06

Sometimes the lack of wind lets ice expand fast. Lakes just  south of Winnebago seeing action now. But down below Dodge , Washington and Ozaukee counties still unsafe 

12/8/21 @ 11:20 PM
icelord5
USER SINCE 2/3/08

Npike glad to hear you guys have good ice and completely agree. The worst part of early ice and snow is not seeing that transition from a solid 3-4 inches to 2 or less. Down here in an outlying Milwaukee area pond had 13/4” but quickly dropped to 1 to 1 1/4. Second time here it’s been almost ready. Hopefully 3rd ice will be here to stay for the season. Did see reports of 2inches on Washington county lakes but that was quickly snow covered and with 61 on Wednesday it might be time to bust out the golf clubs for something to do unfortunately... 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 1,050 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.